Chapter 5: 'Bright' side of my past

Working at Sherry's Café was more exhaustive than I thought it would be. Everyday I was able to come home at almost 8 pm in the evening. My apartment was only a few blocks away from the café. I came dragging my feet, which were feeling a thousand times heavy with pain from all those standing and running at the cafe. But somehow I enjoyed my time working there. It gave me that warm and homely feeling that I miss in my daily life at my small apartment. 

Speaking of my apartment, yes, it was very small. As small as it can be for one person. It was located at the most secluded part of the town and not to mention, the cheapest. I was not familiar with this kind of situation, but after almost three years of surviving the hell I finally got the situation under control.

I quietly sauntered up to the stairs and went towards my apartment. I quickly unlocked the door and got inside. There was only one room which I used as my living room plus bedroom, a kitchen, a bathroom and a small balcony. It looked so empty, so void of life. I turned on the lights.

I quickly changed into some comfortable clothes and freshened up. I have an exam this week so I decided to study for some time. I took off to my kitchen to make some coffee. One spoon sugar and one spoon creamer. That's how I like my coffee. As I was busy making coffee, my mind set off to another place.

*** *** ***

I got admitted into Rakuzan High a few months later, after Mr. Kajanoka took me in.

Today was the first day of school. No, I wasn't nervous. I was always curious about rich kids' school and their superfluous life. And now that I was living like one in the most twisted way possible, I wasn't looking forward to it anymore. Life sure was a hell.

I was walking absent-mindedly down in the hallway of my new school, which was quite stupid of me, I guess because it wasn't long until I collided with broad hard chest. I fell down on my butt at the impact. And the person didn't even offer me a hand to get up.

'What a gentleman!' I thought sarcastically, but I was clever enough not to say it out loud. Who what sort of crazy kids lurk around in this rich kids’ school

"Watch where you're going." An extremely intimidating voice said.

I looked up and saw an incredible handsome guy with red hair and heterochromatic eyes. His one golden eye glinted in the sunlight as I locked my gaze with him. Even though he seemed like the douche-type I won't deny that he was a really handsome lad.

I quietly got up on my feet and brushed off the dust from my gray skirt and blazer. I was careful to not let any of my bruises come into view. I stared right into his crimson calculating eyes.

"I could say the same thing to you." I said calmly.

"You can but you are not in a place to say such a thing." He said swiftly.

My eyes widened in astonishment. Did he just openly insult me?! Some kids who were passing us did nothing instead of throwing some curious glances at us.

"Are you?" I asked, keeping my cool. "Are you in a place to say such a thing?"

Then for the very first time he looked at me carefully like observing every single detail. As if I wasn't worth his attention until now, and suddenly he realized that I was one those rare insects that were on the brink of extinction. Okay, I might be stretching this too far but there was something weird about his stare. It seemed like he was staring right into my soul. I shifted awkwardly under his sharp gaze.

"Are you the transfer student?" He asked me coldly.

"If there is no one other than me then I think, yes, I am. The transfer student." I answered shrugging.

He remained silent for a while with closed eyes. "Take your class routine from the office if you haven't, then head back to your classroom. Don't wander around the hallway with your eyes closed, Ena." As soon as he finished, he decided to take off from that place.

No matter how much of a rare insect I was, apparently I wasn't worth this much of his attention and time. Jerk.

"Wait, how do you know my name?" I asked incredulously as he already turned his back on me. "Who are you?"

He turned his head to one side and looked at me with the corner of his eye. "Student Council president, Akashi Seijuro." He said in a voice colder than ice. He walked away from me as I just stood there, totally frozen. 

'Did I just manage to piss off the student council president on my first day of school?!' 

*** *** ***

I couldn't help but smile at the memory. I had lived some time with him that I will cherish forever, even though it didn't last long. I knew I could never deliberately forgive for what he did. Knowingly or unknowingly I always blamed him for my misery. I will always blame him for my misery. But it didn't change the fact that he was the only man I truly loved. I had my perfect fairytale love with him as cliché as it sounded to a third person. 

But I should've known that it was too perfect to be true and lasting forever. I mean it was me we were talking about. Girls like me never get a happy ending.

I sipped on my coffee and decided to go through my notes once again. I have always been what they called a ‘diligent student'. I usually score perfect full marks in all my subjects. But I was never successful to attain the first place at Rakuzan as Akashi always, like always topped with the highest marks. I was kind of envious at first, then I came to accept it.

He can't be beaten under any circumstances.

I studied until I felt that I can't go any longer with these rigid shoulders. I did some stretching, yawning and finally decided to have my supper. And by dinner I meant two cups of chicken ramen. I like the BBQ flavor better, but the chicken flavor was cheaper.

While eating my luxurious dinner, I checked the various unpaid bills that were piling up inside my drawer and calculated them. It looked like I have to eat only ramen for dinner for the next few weeks. I sighed. If you think things were hard, then I had to tell you that I had dealt with much worse than this. At least this time I have a roof above my head and a mattress underneath me.

I turned the lights off wrapping the whole room with darkness and went to bed.

Things will get better, I know it will. I had suffered enough but I won't suffer for my entire life. I will never give up on living and believing. No matter what happened in my past, it had nothing to do with my future. 

I chose the wrong path before but I won't make the same mistake twice.

_

A/N: Update after a long time. I know and sorry about that.

What did think of this chapter? Did you liked the glimpse of Ena's past? What do think of Ena over all? Oshihite...

This chapter was edited. Still let me know if you find any errors.

By my leave.