Chapter 6: Everything of light

I was wiping the fourth table near the window when Tsunada approached me. 

Today was a hectic day with all the exams at the college and stuff. It's been a month since I started working here at Sherry's Coffee and financially things couldn't go more pleasantly and swiftly. Of course it was taking a huge toll on my body and mind, but I didn’t mind as long as I could pay my bills and the rent. I didn't need college fees cause I was studying on a scholarship.

"Ena-chan, here let me help you." Tsunada offered with a sweet smile.

I smiled back. "Thank you, Tsunada-san."

Usually she works at the counter, but sometimes she swaps her duty with Kajuma or Ukita and comes to help me out at the tables. I just don't understand how a girl can be so sweet and nice.

"Did your exam go well today?" She asked while wiping the table beside mine.

"Yes, it was good."

"Oh, I forgot! You're the smarty-pants, right?" She said chuckling. 

I laughed. "Of course."

"Um, Ena-chan..." Tsunada hesitated for a while, but when she saw me smiling, she spoke, "When I asked you about the... scar I saw on your shoulder the other day, you told me something. Remember?"

I froze on my spot hearing her question. The day before yesterday when I was changing in the ladies room quite carelessly if you ask me, she saw the long deep car on my shoulder that was engraved permanently. It was one of the scars of my past. 

When she asked me about it horridly, I told her, "Visible scars are nothing compared to the mental invisible scars people have in heart, Tsunada. Don't mind it."

When she noticed my discomfort she hurriedly said, "It's alright if you don't wanna talk about it. I under--"

"It's okay." I cut her off smiling at her panic. "Really. I don't mind."

"You don't mind me nagging?"

"You are not nagging actually. I told you first."

"...That's right too." She said thoughtfully. 

"Let's hang out after work." I offered. 

"Sure." She agreed instantly and I chuckled lightly.

***  ***  ***

We were sitting at a small restaurant having our dinner after our work just like we planned. She treated me for which I was grateful. I couldn't afford it even here in this type of small local restaurant if I were to pay for both of us. Maybe she kind of understood my situation.

“It's a really long story, Tsunada…” I said.

She stirred her lemonade with the white and red straw and looked at me. “I have time.” She smiled kindly.

“and it might be a bit cliché too. Sure you're up for the sob story?” I tried saying jokingly.

Though she easily looked through my façade as she looked straight into my eyes. “You can trust me, Ena-chan. I can feel that you've been carrying all this- whatever it is- for a long time. And it's been a month since you've started working? Don't you consider me your friend?”

“I do, Tsunada. I really do…”

“Then share with me. I've shared all my annoying relationships with you, didn't I?”

“Well, that you did.” I chuckled softly and she joined me too.

Then I sighed. I guess I can't turn my back on her anymore when she's wanting to hear everything.