Chapter 20: Someone from the past

"A kiss couldn't possibly mean anything."

I kept saying this to myself the whole night repeatedly. No matter how much I wanted to forget those familiar and soft lips, no matter how much I rolled around on my old mattress, I couldn't put my mind into peace. They were haunting me in the darkness of the night.

'That son of a...'

And what was even more stupid was that I couldn't even recall if I kissed him back or not. That moment, for a split second, I couldn't even remember why I hated him in the first place. His lips were on mine and suddenly everything turned blank.

No hatred, no memories, no butterflies, fireflies or whatsoever. Just blank.

I thought I couldn't sleep tonight, but after all those strolling around the market for a whole day, my body felt exhausted and stiff. I took a long shower to relieve the stress. I took off my clothes and stood in front of the bathroom mirror only in a flimsy white tank top. I could see those long, grotesque, almost faded but still visible scars on the back of my shoulder, down my collarbone, my back and my lower neck in my reflection. I lightly touched them as my mind went back to those dark days. I quickly snapped back.

I sighed. Then I put on my t shirt again, wore my pajamas and went back to my room to get some good night sleep.

*** *** ***

I was strolling around the college campus aimlessly after my class ended. The place was green, filled with college kids younger than me, chattering among themselves, laughing and goofing around carelessly. The weather was nice, but I was feeling a bit lonely without Haruka.

I gave her the present this morning and she was beyond happy. She hugged me real tight and said that I didn't need to give her anything as our friendship was enough for her, but I could tell by her wide grin how much she loved it. I was happy, but now that she was still in her class and mine was finished, I was lonely.

"Ena-san."

I almost jumped three feet away when heard a calm but yet eerily familiar voice from behind out of the blue. And 'blue', that's what came into my vision when I instantly turned around. My eyes widened in surprise as not even in my craziest imaginations I expected to meet him here in Kyoto. He was living in Tokyo after all.

He was still around the height when I last saw him, which was four years ago. His light blue hair was a bit shorter and his blue orbs still reminded me of the clear blue sky of summer. Though his eyes could look emotionless at first, but if you stare at them deeply, you could see thousands of emotions swimming in there.

Kuroko Tetsuya.

"Kuroko!" I couldn't suppress my astonishment. "Wh-how--whe--What are--" I couldn't put all those thousands of questions running inside me into one sentence.

He smiled. Very slightly but it was still very sweet. Just like before. "Konnichiwa [Hello], Ena-san. It's been a long time."

"Oh, uhm, konnichiwa, Kuroko." I would be lying if I said I wasn't feeling a bit uncomfortable. It felt very awkward to be honest. "What are you doing here? I thought you were in Tokyo..."

"I was. The school where I teach decided to bring all the kids and teachers in Kyoto on a study tour."

"Ah, I see. So, you finally became a teacher just like you wanted." I smiled.

"Yes." His eyes turned soft. "How have you been?"

"Um, good, I guess." Again, I was feeling awkward. "What about you?"

"Average. An average life in Tokyo." He said expressionlessly.

I chuckled lightly. "By the way, how did you know that I go to this college? Sure, you didn't just came to hang out alone in a college campus."

He looked at me directly into my eyes for a second then looked away avoiding my gaze, ignoring my question.

Realization dawned upon me after a moment of confusion. Of course, it was him.

"Oh, I see." I say a bit harshly.

"If you have time would you like to get some coffee together?" He offered me politely. My harshness didn't affect him one bit. Just like before.

I sighed. There was literally no point in holding grudge or anything against Kuroko. He did nothing. Well, he literally did nothing until Akashi told him to but still, I realized there was no reason to behave rudely with this gentle boy.

I gave him a small smile. "Sure, why not?"

"Thank you. I found out a place while was walking around. It seemed nice."

I wondered if I saw a small yet grateful smile on his lips before he turned around and lead me to the place.