Chapter 38: Prying eyes

As much as Akashi Seijuro absolutely despised using foul words, he couldn't help but curse under his breath when Ena didn't pick up her phone for the sixth time.

He was on his way to the Akashi mansion coming back from the office when he was calling Ena on her phone. He knew that her phone was badly damaged and she could've at least waited until he gave her the new phone before running out of the house. He glanced at the box of the brand new phone that was lying next to his car seat and sighed.
He somehow had a feeling that Ena would try to run out of the mansion sooner rather than later when he gets out of the house. That was why he especially instructed all the maids and butlers to keep a close watch on her.

'To think that she got out the property right under their noses.'

Akashi frowned.

Either Ena's knowledge about the mansion was way too broad or the maids and butlers did a poor job at keeping an eye on her. There was no reason to blame or scold his servants now because either way Ena was out of the house and as much as he hated to admit it, he had no clue about her whereabouts.

'Doesn't she realize what kind of grave danger she is in?'

Akashi's fists clenched tightly.

Knowing Ena, of course, she did. There was no way she couldn't figure out that much after everything that has happened so far. But Akashi had a vague idea why she ran away way. Either she was feeling uncomfortable living at her ex-husband's residence or she was feeling way too overwhelmed by all this so she went out to get some fresh air.

'Then why wasn't she picking up her phone?'

The driver looked at the rearview mirror strangely when he saw Akashi Sejuro ruffling his red hair a bit frustrated. An unusual sight to say the least.

"Sir..." The driver asked tentatively.

Akashi glanced up and raised his brows at the man.

"We're here."

He looked out of the tinted car window and saw that the car arrived in front of his mansion. He sighed again and got out of the car.

"Sir, should I bring the package inside the house?" The chauffeur asked gesturing to the packet of the new phone.

Akashi threw it a glimpse. "No, I'll take it." Then he promptly took the package from the elder man walked away without another word.

_

When Akashi finished his paperwork for the day and tried ringing Ena's phone for the twentieth time, it was already 9 o'clock and the crimson haired man's patience and calmness was soon running out.

He decided to send his men at Ena's place, in case she decided to stay at her place instead of coming back to his house. Though deep inside he kind of had a feeling that Ena probably would have let him known if she had a change of heart.

"Sir, we'll let you know as soon as we reach her house."

"Good. Be quick."

"Yes, sir."

Akashi hung up on the call as soon as he finished talking.

He slowly walked towards his table and sat on the swirling chair. He swirled around on his chair and faced the wide window behind him that revealed a view of the garden. It was dark outside as it was night time, 9:15 to be exact. In the darkness, he could vaguely make out the shape of the trees and bushes but he wished he could see the flowers. Especially the bushes of Ena Harkness.

Sight of his garden and especially those particular breed of dark red roses gave him a strange yet calming sense of solace. He never remembered the darkness of his and her past when he looked at those flowers, instead a nostalgic feeling of serenity overwhelmed him whenever he gazed at them. Just like how he felt when he looked at the jasmine and lilies - his late mother's favorite flowers.

There was no point in thinking about their past and dwelling on their mistakes. Mistakes, which they both made. But no matter how firmly and strongly Akashi believed that, Akashi couldn't stop his mind when it decided to take stroll down the memory lane.

How they met at Rakuzan High at Kyoto.

How she approached him to become a member of the student council.

How she finally became a part of the council and started to get on his nerves everytime she talked.

He chuckled at that silently.
Really, there was no point in thinking about your past if you can do nothing to bring it back.

He finally stopped himself and swirled around to face his table again. He reached for the book- a business journal- he had been reading for some time, when his phone rang out loudly.

Instead of the hardcover book, his hand reached for his phone quickly. He didn't let the loud noise perplex his mind as he took a deep breath and answered his phone.

"Yes?"

"Sir, we're at Miss Ena's house but there's no sign of her here. The house is locked from the outside."

'What?' "Locked from the outside, you say... Did you talk to the neighbors? Did anyone see her coming to the house?"

"Three families lives around her place and we talked to all of them. None of them saw her coming back to the house."

'Damn it.' "I see. Break down the door."

"Pardon, sir?"

"I said break down the door." Akashi's voice was calm and colder than ice. "Don't make me repeat myself."

"O-okay, sir!"

After that trembling reply, Akashi heard a loud noise that seemed like the sound of breaking down the door. He mentally made a note to compensate for the damage to the homeowner later. He would deal with the unimportant stuff later.

For the next couple of minutes Akashi kept hearing noises of shuffling around, scratching of shoes, opening doors and moving heavy objects.

"There's no one here now but there are signs of presence around the place. It's like there were more than one people present here."

'Was I too late?' "Search the place thoroughly. Leave no place unchecked."

"It's a relatively small house, sir. We checked the whole place already."

"If you find any evidence that will prove that there were more than one person there, collect them."

"Okay, sir. Is there anything else you want us to do?"

Akashi thought for a moment, contemplating the options he had on his hand right now. "No. I will take care lf the rest myself."

"Alright, sir."

Akashi hung up on the call with a click and remained immobile on his chair for some time.

He was never a superstitious person. However, at times like this his instincts became more like a bad premonition. It was as if he very well knew the situation and had a pretty good idea of what has happened there and what will happen in the future, but even though he knew that it would be foolish to deny these facts, he still continued to deny them.

Because for once he might be wrong.

No, he wished he was wrong.

He stood up from his chair promptly and as if on cue the door of his room opened suddenly. A maid entered the room frantically.

"What is it?" Akashi asked before the maid spoke.

"It's about your... father, sir." The maid's voice was trembling and her words stammering. Her hands were clasped together tightly as if preventing herself from shaking.

He blinked. "What about him?"

"He... just had a heart attack."

_

A/N: A comparatively small chapter bc it's Akashi Seijuro lol

Unedited.

Don't forget to vote if you liked this chapter. 💜💜💜