Chapter 12: End of a fairytale

Akashi had only a few friends in his high school considering the type of person he was. As a part of the famous middle school basketball team 'Generation of Miracles', he was only friends with the other members; Midorima Shintaro, Murasakibara Atsushi, Aomine Daiki, Kise Ryouta and Kuroko Tetsuya. He was on friendly terms with his Rakuzan teammates too- Mibuchi Reo, Hayama Kotaro and the others. And as their captain's wife, I was also quite acquainted with them.

It was Kuroko who called me first. I wasn't quite surprised as we used to be very good friends and I viewed the teal haired phantom sixth man like my brother.

"Konnichiwa [hello], Ena-san." Kuroko greeted me through the phone in his usual monotone voice.

"Konnichiwa, Kuroko-kun! How are you?" I asked smiling. But my wide smile fell as soon as I heard what he said next.

"I am good, Ena-san… I actually called you to let you know of some things I believe you should be aware of."

I frowned. "What is it, Kuroko-kun?"

"It's about Akashi-kun… I know it's going to be hard for you,” He took a deep breath. “but he is... He is planning to divorce you."

My heart suddenly stopped beating. I forgot how to breath as I processed his words in my brain.

"W-what are you t-talking about, K-Kuroko-kun?" I fumbled with my words pathetically as my voice wavered uncontrollably.

"Knowing the kind of person he is, I'm sure you were unaware of… all this. Akashi-kun implied something around that line at the reunion and when I confronted him about it… he confirmed it. Everyone of the Generation of Miracles knows it already."

I felt numb. There was no reason to not believe Kuroko. There was no reason to think that he was lying- he was not that type of person. Even though it was a matter of Akashi and me, it was quite believable that the Generation of Miracles got to know it first-hand. My hands turned cold as I felt the ground beneath my feet vanish.

I remained silent.

"I think you should talk to Akashi as soon as you can about this matter. I know you're not the type of girl Akashi-kun thinks you are. You are perfect for him, we all believe that. Just talk to him... honestly, okay?" Kuroko said calmly.

What does he mean by 'talk to him honestly'? "D-do you know what is it... about?" I asked warily.

"... I believe you should talk to him directly, Ena-san. After all, it's a matter between both of you. All I believe is that..." He trailed off.

"... what?" I asked.

"... that any of it is real, Ena-san. I know you are not that kind of person." His voice was calm and collected.

Then he hung up after bidding me goodbye.

I felt my head spinning as slumped down on my soft bed. What was Kuroko talking about? Any of what?

And above everything, why would Akashi do that? Why would he take such a decision without talking to me? He loves me, I know he does. And there were no hesitation or questions from my side either. I love him more than anything, more than my own life. He was everything to me. I could and would do anything to stay by his side for life after life. That's how much I loved him.

Then why would he do that?

Now that I think it, he had been coming home late for the last few weeks and talking to me less. I thought it was just pressure of works and studies. Now it looked like he was avoiding me all this time. He applied for college while I didn't all because I was happy with everything. For the first time I was content with my life.