Chapter 12 "Built Like A Tank"

A call comes in to Engine Company 1....

Engine 1, Ambulance 41.... West Taylor Street, Target parking garage, second level....person trapped in car

Everyone runs out, loads up, and takes off.

Once they arrive on the scene, the Firefighters jump out of the truck and hurry up to the second level.
They find a group of people trying to get the doors on the SUV open, along with a few police officers.
"Oh good, the Fire Department's here!" one of the officers says as he turns around and sees the Lieutenant walking up to him.
"What have you tried?" the Lieutenant asks the officer.
"We tried to unlock the doors, but our tool won't fit inside! There's no room between the window and the door frame. We then tried a crowbar to pry the door open! Nothing! We then tried to break the windows with the crowbar, but they wouldn't shatter! This SUV is built like a tank!" the officer says.
"Rowen! Go get the rotary saw!" the Lieutenant tells the Firefighter.
"On it, Lieutenant!" he shouts back.
"While we're waiting on the saw, did you run the plates to see who the SUV is registered to?" the Lieutenant asks the officer.
The main officer quickly walks back to the patrol car, "I take that's a no!" the Lieutenant says.
The Firefighter that went for the saw returns and hands it to the Lieutenant, along with a set of safety glasses.
He gets ready to start the saw when the officer comes walking up to him, "The SUV is registered to a Shaylynn Severide."
"Did you say Severide?" the Lieutenant asks the officer.
The officer nods.
"Smith! Radio to Main and tell them we need Squad 3 here, NOW! And to make sure Severide has his keys on him!" the Lieutenant yells out.
"On it!" Smith yells back.
"Everyone step back!" the Lieutenant tells them.
"What are you going to do?" the officer asks.
"I'm not going to stand by and not do anything! I'm going to still try and cut my way inside!" the Lieutenant tells the officer, "Now, step back!"
He starts up the saw and starts cutting.

At Firehouse 51, the call comes in....

Squad 3.... West Taylor Street, Target parking garage, second level.... Lieutenant, make sure to have your keys

Capp, Tony, and Cruz look at Severide, he shrugs his shoulders and takes off running to the locker room while the other guys get into the truck.
As Severide grabs his keys out of the locker, it hits him, Shaylynn!
This makes him run quicker back out to the stalls.

Back at the parking garage, the Lieutenant is diligently trying to cut his way into the SUV when the blade breaks.
"What is this SUV made out of?" he questions.
"Lieutenant, Squad 3 just pulled up!" one of the Firefighters yells.
The Lieutenant turns around to see Severide and the rest running up the parking garage ramp.
"What the hell happened?" Severide asks the other Lieutenant.
"We're not sure! We've been trying to get inside!" the Lieutenant tells Severide as he puts the key into the lock.
Severide unlocks the door, opens it, smoke pours out at him, and he starts coughing. The paramedics push the gurney up beside the SUV.
"Kelly, let the paramedics take care of her!" the Lieutenant tells him.
Severide steps out of the way as they walk up to the SUV.
The paramedics pull Shaylynn out, and put her on the gurney.
"She's not breathing!" one of the paramedics says while listening to her lungs, "I'll have to bag her!"
The other paramedic starts performing CPR, while the other one puts the BVM over Shaylynn's face.
"You can help us!" the paramedic performing CPR tells Severide, "Keep feeling for a pulse!" the paramedic tells him.
Severide bends down and puts two fingers on the side of Shaylynn's neck.
"Have Hank Voight come here and investigate!" Severide tells the head officer.
"But he's with the Intelligence Unit" the officer says.
"He's also her Dad!" Severide tells the officer.
The officer radios in to send out the Intelligence Unit.
Five minutes later, Shaylynn finally has a pulse.
The paramedics rush her over to the ambulance and load her up. They radio to Med that they're on their way.
"Take your guys and go! We'll stick around and talk to Voight" the Lieutenant tells Severide.
"Thanks, Rodney!" Severide tells him giving him a pat on the shoulder.
Severide takes off running with Capp, Tony, and Cruz hot on his heels.
Once out at the truck, they load up and wait for the ambulance to come out of the parking garage.
Finally the ambulance comes out. Tony drives off following the ambulance with sirens and lights blaring.