•Starring Role•

Home was supposed to be a haven. It wasn't somewhere you would hate. It wasn't somewhere you would think of running from all the time. But Liraz preferred the streets. It felt better than home. Nothing would bother her. The ghosts of her past wouldn't hurt her there. She always spent time at her friend's place, she stayed the whole evening in a café, she went to the lake and forgot about time, but there was still something about home that would take her back every time she ran away.

After a quick cold shower, She slipped in her oversized sweatshirt, letting her wet hair dry naturally and dragged her feet to the kitchen. The air was thick with the scent of coffee, and there was already a cup of hot coffee on the counter.

-"Nina?" Liraz called to make sure of the housekeeper was still home, but the silence that surrounded her told her she was alone.

As she flicked the pages of Elle magazine, making mental plans for which gown she should wear for the masquerade ball, her eyes rested on the coffee mug. She was about to reach for it before the bell rang, making her eyebrows crunched together: She wasn't expecting anyone.

The handle felt icy in her fingers as she opened the door brutally, the frown still sculptured on her pale face, Silence was the only thing she met and a breathless high school boy entering her house was the last thing she expected. He let himself back against the door –closing it shut– and sat rigid, paralyzed.

-"What the hell do you think you're doing, Geek?" She didn't care of he was out of breath, all she wanted is to kick him out of the house and go back to her warm coffee.

He screwed up his face with pain and brought his hand to his chest, massaging the spot. He tried to breathe but the air just wouldn't go in. His heart raced, and he got to his knees and desperately attempted to inhale. At the fourth attempt some air went in, not much, but enough to pave the way for a bigger breath the next time. He finally raised his hand, revealing a tiny white box for her to take. Liraz didn't budge. She wanted to make it clear that he can't treat her poorly, show up with a gift and all will be gone. She wasn't the forgive and forget type of person.

-"Just hold on.. Take it.. Please" He said, his lungs still knocked out of air. "I feel like I won a marathon" She rudely snatched the box from his hands and opened it, her cold eyes were replaced with surprise.

-"Macaroons" He nodded after hearing her words, a faint smile on his lips. "Coffee macaroons" 

-"I have a friend who works at Rousseau's, he said you always take coffee macaroons whenever you come, which is every day" Ace explained. Other girls would describe this as a sweet gesture and smile kindly, maybe kiss his cheek, but Liraz gave him a quizzical look, not sure if this was a stalker case.

-"Did you run all the way from school to Rousseau's, and then back to my house?" She turned on her heels and walked to the kitchen, Ace following her. His eyes fell on her bare feet and he couldn't help but notice the heartbeat anklet around her ankle. It was the first time he noticed it, but again, it was the first time he was this close to Lira Mirzach.

-"No, of course not" He denied, shrugging his shoulder as she opened the fridge. "Maybe I ran for a minutes or s- Yes, yes! Fine! I ran the whole way to your house!" Blushing would have been no problem, but what Ace did was go as red as a blood and radiated heat

-"Here" She threw the bottle of water in the air. "Seems like you won a marathon after all" She walked to the coffee machine, and started making another cup of coffee.

-"So we're cool?"  She ignored him like she does to everybody and sipped on her coffee. "You're not till mad at me, are you?" He chuckled, but soon knew that she was indeed