12. Nightmares

Through the whole night, Loki hasn't been sleeping. The fallen prince still shudders at the thought of Ophelia's execution, he saw everything and even though he should be used to it, considering how stained his hands are, he still can't forget how incredibly monstrous this act was. It is already terrible that it was the death of an innocent child but the fact that it only happened to make Aurora suffer makes it worse. No one should have to go through this, especially not an innocent person like her.

Also the thought that he could've shared the same fate as Ophelia if Odin didn't find him, terrifies him. What if he ended up as a slave and his attempt for freedom was doomed as Ophelia's? Even with a generous fighter like Aurora, it wasn't possible.

Glancing at his now permanent cell neighbor, Loki notices how much she winces in her sleep, being fitful through the night. She's pale and beads of perspiration are on her forehead, her eyes squeezed close and her body shaking. He knows this condition too well, he's experienced it way too much. She's having a nightmare.

Suddenly, a sob wrecks her body, he can recognize the tears on her cheek, the pang of remorse in his heart for her urges him to wake her up, comfort her, because that's what he would have wanted. But he's too stubborn to do that. Aurora is just a mortal, a fleeting companion that will feel like a short instant for him. Apart from that, he does not allow himself to show kindness. It is not in his nature, he is meant to be a cold and selfish monster.

Aurora, her very own name wanders through Aurora's mind. Someone's calling her or is it just a memory? Her dreams overwhelm her, faces she's never met flash too fast through her mind to recognize them and she's turning over in the uncomfortable bed, stuck in a limbus of unknown memories. Different voices, male and female, say her name, voices she doesn't know. Aurora. Aurora! Aurora? Aurora. Aurora.

Gasping, she wakes up with widened eyes, sitting up and trying to steady her breath. Loki watches her carefully, almost ready to help her but then again, just almost. Aurora's face is buried in her hands, trying not to cry again.

"So many faces I don't remember."

Her words somehow affect the fallen prince and his sympathy for her grows. He can't help but consider if his sorcery could help her memories to come back. Loki is able to look through someone's mind, manipulating them, it was a simple game with the scepter. But helping someone to regain memories that might be lost? He's never tried that.

Aurora's hand runs down her face and she glances up, meeting Loki's look. Since their alliance, he stares at her without contempt and definitely less annoyance to their surprise, maybe he got used to her bright attitude. Her heart slightly races, conflicted with what way to approach him. Loki is a murderer, a power-obsessed liar but he hasn't personally hurt her. And maybe Fortuna was exaggerating? But Loki was tense, uncomfortable, showing nothing but the truth. Hopefully, she will find it out soon, no matter how brutal it may be.

"Nothing is okay." Aurora answers his silent question, reading it from his facial expression. He was analyzing her puffy, red eyes.

"I did not say a word."

"You didn't need to. Your look did." She closes her eyes for a second and leans against the wall, fatigue paralyzing her body.

"What plagued your dreams?" Loki's interest in her nightmares sounds oddly sincere to her, an uncharacteristic softness featuring his edges. Can she trust him? Aurora doesn't know. The heavy sorrow in her heart still makes it difficult for her to think of something else other than Ophelia.

"Memories that I don't know." It can't hurt to tell him about her problems, considering they are gonna live together for a whole while now. Also, it's always been a habit of hers to open up towards everyone, being the open book in person and after being through some stuff with him, it feels somehow natural. "I dream of faces but I don't remember them. I know that there is, there must be someone who knows me. I just don't know how to reach them."

"Maybe it is meant to be forgotten and unseen." A familiar loneliness laces the God of Mischief's voice and Aurora would like to ask if there is something that he would rather forget.

"What did it look like?"

"What?"

"When Ophelia lost her head. You... you didn't move a bit, didn't even wince. Did the axe at least fasten the process or did she still feel pain? Stupid question, of course, she was in pain- " She babbles slightly, the wave of emotions overwhelming her and before she can continue, Loki cuts her off.

"I prevented you from seeing it on purpose. You should not think about it." He almost hisses, not wanting her to be in pain. It makes him angry that she suffers.

Aurora notices his rage, her heart tightens at his reaction. Just now she realizes and appreciates his action, he really intended to save her without any ulterior motives. But why? Isn't he supposed to be the bad guy? Doesn't he despise her? Yet, she thinks of their alliance and the way he has treated her. "Loki, why did you do that?"

"I did nothing." He sounds distant, avoiding his intentions.

"You helped me. Why?" She glances at him, the thin golden wall revealing his figure now staring at the dark air and sitting leaned against the wall like her.

"I just did not want to be tempered by your awful whining. It would have been worse if you witnessed the whole procedure." Less kindness appears in his answer, hiding the soft spot for her. Yet, Aurora understands his message, able to read through his cold words. He said her name when it happened and this proves that he is indeed able to show how much he cares.

"Thank you." She is genuinely grateful for his action and his tension collapses like a house of cards, his emerald eyes slightly widen at her gentle and pure gratitude. Never has someone thanked him for something, always treating him like nothing, like Thor's replacement. The life in the shadow of the God of Thunder hasn't been easy for Loki.

Loki's eyes land on her, showing more kindness than ever and she's surprised by his astonished reaction. His face is neither blank nor annoyed, it's soft, human. How could you invade a whole planet? How could you be monstrous if you are so kind to me? These questions run through the auburn head, motivating her to solve Loki's mystery.

"Is it true that you invaded Terra?" Her words break the fleeting moment of trust and understanding and Loki's tension returns as he clenches his jaw. He looks away, avoiding her eyes and admonishes himself for showing humanity. How foolish is he to reveal his weakness towards this human? The temper replaces his kindness for her.

"Were you deaf when the Mistress revealed this information?" He responds coldly and Aurora is aware that she's on thin ice right now, yet she doesn't care.

"I wasn't but I don't like to listen to gossip. I want to know the truth from you because I believe you more than her. I don't care what others say about you." Again, her words cause nothing but weakness in him. He's supposed to be a monster, not human and emotional. She needs to stop having that much faith in him. "Did you kill thousands of people because you wanted to rule?"

The upcoming silence is awful, the tension heated and oppressing. Aurora even thinks that he can hear her heart racing, beating way too loud to her dismay. And then, Loki's lips slightly part, the two words that she didn't want to hear leaving his mouth. "I did."

Her chest tightens at his response, her heart drops to her toes. The disappointment painfully wrenches Aurora's heart as she still doesn't believe that he can be that cruel, especially after what he'd done for her. After he tried to save Ophelia as well... Tears gather in her eyes again and a sob escapes, Aurora starts crying at the thought of the innocent slave's death who hasn't seen the world yet and never will.

"I-I'm sorry, it's because of Ophelia..." She apologizes and the fallen prince looks up again. He can't resist to care, his cold heart melting at the sight of the crying girl.

"Don't cry." His words become softer and it doesn't sound like an order, more like he couldn't stand seeing her crying, hurting. She shouldn't need to apologize for showing emotions.

"If not I, who then?" Aurora sobs, the tears flowing down her face. "Who else would grieve Ophelia's death if she was so lonely in this world? If there was nobody who cared about her? I want to mourn her, otherwise she would be forgotten and she doesn't deserve this."

With her words, he realizes that this girl is a much more generous and pure soul than he thought she would be. She cares way too much in this ruthless world, even in some way about him. And he honestly doesn't know if it's good or bad.