48. The Grandmaster

Before Brunnhilde and Aurora meet the Grandmaster, Topaz, his right hand, has been ordered to take the auburn-haired girl to the medical examination room at the Grandmaster's request. He was more than just excited to hear that his favorite Ravager is back along with a blonde, muscular prize. As the aliens bandage Aurora's wrist after cooling it down, they use a little device to get rid of the small concussion she's suffered. Valkyrie hasn't left her side.

"So, what's the deal between you and the boss?" She asks her while the two of them walk to the Grandmaster's throne room where Thor is still unconscious stuck in a chair.

"I had a little assignment as a Ravager nine years ago and well, the Grandmaster had taken a liking to my inventions, so he wanted me to improve the slave pins. I refused and, uh, might have left without his permission."

"He treats you well, considering your betrayal." Valkyrie shrugs and Aurora sighs.

"I think he also likes me? I don't know, I just have to leave this planet with Thor as fast as possible." Asgard is in great danger and Aurora hates how they have failed to warn the Warrior Three. Hela must have caused destruction by now. First, she needs to convince the Grandmaster to let Thor and her go or, if necessary, create an escape plan, then they have to find Loki somehow and then go back to Asgard.

"Won't be an easy game." Valkyrie opens the double door and they enter the hall, the Grandmaster smirking at Aurora's presence. The man has not changed a bit over the years.

"Ah, there she is, my favorite Ravager! Welcome back, my dear Aurora. It's been a while." He greets her enthusiastically with a little clap. While Aurora passes the several soldiers and makes her way to the ruler, she finds Thor in a chair, slowly waking up but going through the rough 3D simulation.

"You haven't aged." She smiles back and stops in front of him whereas Brunnhilde is on his left side, Topaz on the other. "May I apologize for my betrayal years ago?"

"Oh, darling, that's all water under the bridge now! You can ask Topaz, I've been always telling her how I'm not– and it starts with an 'R'– "

"Forgiving." Topaz glares at Aurora, not approving any betrayal towards her Grandmaster. He frowns at her and shakes his head.

"That doesn't even start with an 'R'. I meant resentful, I'm never resentful. Besides, you and Scrapper 142 have brought me a beautiful gift. We're even." As if on cue, Thor finally wakes up from the simulation with a traumatized and horrified scream until he realizes he's somewhere else, almost embarrassed by his reaction.

"Not a fan of 3D?" Aurora turns around and grimaces as Thor looks at the new location, struggling in his chains.

"What the hell is going on?" He asks her confused and his glance lands on the Grandmaster dressed in weird colors.

"This is the Grandmaster, he rules the planet and sort of possesses you now..." Aurora's explanation only increases his bewilderment, but the Grandmaster is charmed by Thor.

"He's wonderful. I-Is it a he?"

"It is a he." Brunnhilde confirms, already looking forward to her reward since the boss is more than just content.

"Yeah. I-I love when you come to visit, 142. You bring me just the best stuff. Whenever we get to talking, Topaz, about Scrapper 142, what do I always say? 'She is the...'– and it starts with a 'B'– "

"Trash." Topaz answers whilst her eyes send a hostile look at Valkyrie, it seems like Aurora and Brunnhilde share an enemy.

"No, not trash. Were you waiting to just call her that? It doesn't start with a 'B'. Topaz, you really need to memorize the alphabet." He sighs with an over-dramatic disappointment, not recognizing Topaz' irony.