41. The Price of Love

The funeral was quickly prepared and organized, mostly by Rocket and Gamora. It was Aurora's wish to have it as soon as possible, she wanted to let Yondu rest in piece, not rot as a cold corpse. Although Loki and Peter wanted her to recover first so she wouldn't have to be in more pain than necessary at the funeral, they gave in after she started to cry again.

Now the Guardians are standing around the plank with Yondu's dead body which is covered in striped cloths. At the head is Peter with Aurora on his left on a chair due to her recovery, her teary eyes attached to her father's body. Loki and Nebula watch the funeral from a farther distance, Loki because he doesn't feel comfortable and hates the sorrow lingering in the air and Nebula because she doesn't care as much. Although the God of Mischief wants to comfort Aurora, he isn't sure how to.

"The other day I told Gamora how I used to pretend my dad was David Hasselhoff." Peter starts his funeral eulogy and the mention of the Hollywood star confuses Rocket and Drax. "He's a singer and actor from Earth... a really famous guy."

"A real legend." Aurora smiles slightly and Drax nods understanding. Her comment almost makes Peter's lips twitch up, appreciating that she gets the reference. But the tears still roll down his cheek and his chest feels heavy. Gamora strokes sympathetically his arm, showing her support.

"And, you know, today it struck me. Yondu didn't have a flying car, but he did have a flying arrow. And he didn't have the voice of an angel, but he did have the whistle of one. And both David Hasselhoff and Yondu went on kickass adventures, and hooked up with hot women, and fought robots. So, the thing is, David Hasselhoff kinda did end up being my dad after all, only it was you, Yondu. I had a pretty cool dad. What I'm trying to say here is, sometimes that thing you're searching for your whole life, it's right there by your side all along and you don't even know it."

Gamora stares at him for while, his words trigger a realization that she has tried to hide for so long. Her heart sinks in and she doesn't have another choice but to admit the unspoken thing between them, otherwise she wouldn't feel his pain right now and care about him that deeply. Noticing how Nebula leaves wordlessly, Gamora decides to follow her sister to fix their broken and yet strong relationship.

"Are you ready?" Peter asks Aurora and she slowly nods. He helps her then to stand up, supporting her as much as he can. His sister swallows as she looks at Yondu, her heart still damaged.

"When my mom handed me over to Yondu, I wasn't scared. I didn't feel sold like a slave. Yondu always made sure that I felt like his daughter. Maybe because he went through slavery himself and thought nobody deserves to go through this. That's why he's always been my role model. Beneath this cold shell, there was his caring and human side and although he could be rough, Yondu was good." Her words touch Rocket's heart and the sorrow reaches him. Tears dwell in her eyes and she sobs silently, overwhelmed by the loss. "I'm glad that you were my dad, Yondu. I love you."

Loki's face falters and he wants to comfort her, to keep her safe from all the suffering. This time he completely failed but he makes the oath that he will save her from any harm next time. The God of Mischief leaves the funeral quietly to find Thanos' daughters, there's still unfinished business left.

Eventually after putting Yondu into the crematory, the rest walk away, leaving Aurora there to watch how her father is enveloped in sparkling colors. Her eyes are attached to every single spark, not capable of imagining that such a tragedy can become so incredibly beautiful. A little and tired sigh escapes her lips, her hand still pressed against the glass pane.

"Aurora." Rocket's call receives her sorrowed glance and he clears his throat apologetically. He knows exactly how she feels since he lost Groot only months ago but this is not the only thing they have in common. "I... am sorry."