38. Mary Poppins

"How the fuck did you manage to piss off Sovereigns?! Ayesha is almost as horrible as the damn Mistress Fortuna!" Aurora shouts through the shooting noise and flies around the gigantic core, the ship flipping roughly to the side. "Please, tell me nobody fell out. Loki?!" No answer. "Shit! Did I seriously just let half of the crew drop out?!"

"They're fine, don't worry!" Peter calms her down and takes over the steering wheel, so his half-sister can climb down to check on the Guardians. Only Nebula and Groot are left but the rest is at least safely on the ground.

"Ugh, dammit!" The ship gets hit again and Aurora picks up Groot as she turns to Rocket. "Rocket! What about the laser?!"

"They blew out the generator!" The raccoon climbs out of his now useless seat and grabs his bag, looking for another solution. "I think I packed a small detonator."

"I have one, but you'd have to bend the leg wire a bit, it got slightly damaged in my belt bag. And I unfortunately have no explosives." Aurora hands him the little device and instead of being upset about the useless detonator now, he responds with a smirk.

"We got these." Revealing the Sovereign's most valuable batteries, Rocket connects them with Aurora's detonator, messing with the wires.

"Anulax batteries." She gasps before her lips form a grin. "That's why they're after us. You stole them. Well, at least they're useful now."

Peter climbs down and switches seats with Nebula, so she helps Yondu with flying the ship now. Aurora's brother doesn't seem to be really convinced of the little detonator as he narrows his eyes. "Is it strong enough to kill Ego?"

"I'm the one who built it, so yes, it'll work."

"If it is, and I'm damn sure it is, it will cause a chain reaction throughout his entire nervous system." Rocket agrees with Aurora's statement, eyeing impressed the construction of the detonator.

Peter's still confused, "Meaning what?"

"The entire planet will explode. We'll have to get out of here fast. I rigged a timer." The raccoon stuffs the bomb in his satchel as Groot climbs into Aurora's pocket. Rocket and Peter slap on their Aero Rigs to fly to Ego's core. "You need an Aero Rig?"

"Oh, these look cool! But don't worry, I've got my own jet boots. I upgraded them enough to keep up with you guys." She smirks and activates her space helmet, just like Peter.

"Not bad." His little compliment makes her smile and the three of them jump out of the laser drill, flying through the space and avoiding the gun fire. Excitement fills Aurora's heart as she flies freely to Ego's core, with Rocket and her brother by her side and Groot in her pocket. This adrenaline kick is something that never fails to amaze her and she feels truly alive.

They land in the blast hole, Rocket and Peter roughly whereas Aurora steadily and gracefully on her feet. While she deactivates her space helmet, Groot climbs out of her pocket to look around with Rocket, his pen-light shining at the cavity. As expected, the way into Ego's center is difficult and not simple to walk into.

"The metal is too thick. For the bomb to work, we'd actually need to place it on Ego's core. And our fat butts ain't gonna fit through those tiny holes." Rocket groans and Aurora cannot think of a solution. If she built more bombs now to explode their way free, Ego would awake and kill them all.

"Well..." Peter looks down at Groot who is playing with a leaf on his arm, entirely distracted from the whole situation.

"Seriously?" Aurora lifts skeptically a brow, not wanting to send the innocent, cute tree to Ego's core. The raccoon isn't overly thrilled by this plan either.