33. Return

"Of course, Matt isn't here today. I'm sure he avoids me now. Is it normal that I'm kinda pissed about his reaction? Or am I really an asshole just because I don't have feelings for him? Maybe I should just give up guys, girls are sometimes easier to handle." Aurora groans and looks around the café, today it's only Erin and her again. And obviously, Happy. The bodyguard sighs tiredly, shrugging.

"I don't know." He states half carelessly, not interested in the drama which is definitely not his area. Yawning, he takes another sip of his already cold coffee and Aurora notices his exhaustion.

"You seem tired. Something wrong?" She asks with a little concern and Happy thinks of what Tony Stark is dealing with. His boss suffers more and more from PTSD, his trauma caused by the Manhattan invasion is getting worse and pains Tony every day.

"I think I'll return to Malibu. I'm needed there and I don't think my boss would appreciate it if I skipped Christmas." His final decision causes a little crack in Aurora's heart and a numb aching spreads through her chest. First she loses Matt as a friend and now Happy. She's bitterly aware of the drama with her date but the blonde used to be a really great friend before he turned into an ass.

"Oh." Aurora only says and tries to conceal her sorrow. "And, uh, when would you leave?"

"Today. A car is already on the way to pick me up and get me to the closest airport." Happy pauses and a sigh leaves his lips. It's not like he disliked this mission but Tony is just his higher priority. "I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine. I have Erin." As a smile appears on her lips, her colleague catches a glimpse of the conversation.

"No, you don't!" The waitress just shouts from another table before Erin disappears in the kitchen and Aurora's forced smile still remains.

"I have myself." She corrects herself and sits down next to him. "Seriously, you should take care of your boss that is totally not Tony Stark. I mean, he doesn't have anyone else, I think. He needs someone annoying and penetrative like you and I'm sure you miss the beach."

The bodyguard doesn't know what to respond and only admires her strength to let go. Meanwhile a little mess is arising inside of Aurora, panic almost overwhelming her. Fuck, fuck, fuck. What am I gonna do now? How am I supposed to survive? It's impossible for her to live on without any proper friends. The worst is that Christmas is around the corner and spending the holiday alone is more than just sad, it's depressing.

"Maybe if- " Happy's words are cut off by a high pitched scream which catches the attention of both. Erin's scream.

"Ugh, did she lose her precious earring again? Be right back." Aurora rolls her eyes, hoping her colleague does not start a drama about some jewelry again. She remembers how she was once forced to search for the stupid earring the whole day. Standing up, the auburn-haired girl walks with a tired sigh into the kitchen. "It better be a real emergency- "

"Move and I'll slit her throat."

The man behind Erin presses the hunting knife tighter against the brunette's throat and Aurora's eyes widen, her body paralyzed in shock. Her colleague is utterly crying in fear of losing her life and the stranger is taller and definitely stronger than the two women. He must have come through the back door, Aurora assumes and her lungs capture her breath, careful that no sudden movement will convince him to kill Erin. Yet, her pulse is weirdly calm as if a situation like this was nothing new for her.

"Well done, sweetheart. Now raise your hands and do as I say. Get all the money and put it in a bag or else your little friend here will die." Robbery. That's his plan but Aurora's hardly surprised as this happens a lot in America.