five

||CHAPTER 5||
《¤》

It had been mere minutes that the guys and Ishita left after spending the whole day. My eyes wandered around the sky blue and grey walls of Arnav's bedroom. One side of the wall opposite me was embellished with travel posters, full of quotes, while the other part held pinned up pictures of places unheard of.

"Fancy some more pizza?" Arnav's voice pulled me out of my trance. "Teen slices baaki hai." 

He offered me the open box. Walking across the room, I sat beside him on the bed, picking up a slice. "Room tune decorate kiya hai?"

A beat of silence passed before he opened his mouth to reply, only to be cut off by Ratan Kaka knocking the door. "Binoy saab aa gaye hain. Milna chahte hain aapse Arnav bete."

I waited for him to leave the room before looking around the room once more. His night stand staged a wooden picture frame, hosting a photograph that was taken nearly ten years ago. We were building a snowman in Switzerland, me, him, Mom and Dad. Despite the story the picture told, we hadn't been a happy family back then. We were just being followed by a bunch of paparazzi, and we were trained to play our part. Sighing, I stood up, making my way to Daadi's room, a place that made me feel at home, and entered right away.

"Knocking ka toh zamana hi nahi raha," she taunted jokingly as I claimed my place, resting my head on her lap.

"Bakwaas serials ka bhi nahi raha," I retorted back. 

"Phir bhi aap yahi padhaare ho," she pointed out, making me roll my eyes. She changed the topic. "Maanyata ka phone aya tha." 

"Toh jane ko bolo." 

"Bakwaas na kar," she huffed. "Poora hafta beeth gaya aur tune ek baar bhi apni Ma ko call nahi kiya."

"Kyu karoon?" I asked, observing the main character of the show wake up with her eyeliner on point. It wasn't the fact that her make-up was perfect early morning that bugged me, no. It was the fact that she slept with her make up on that made me cringe. 

"Woh teri chintaa karti hai puttar."

"Kis baath ki chinta? Ghar pe toh rehti hun mai. Aap hi ke saath." 

"Maa hai woh teri," her eyes left the TV screen to look at me. "Don't push her away Vika." 

I let out a small sigh, lying down on her lap. "Pushing requires force, and if you haven't discovered it already, I'm not the most energetic person in the Deewan household."

The next morning, I knocked thrice on the door to Dad's office before he muttered an approval

"Ratan Kaka said..."

"Yeah, take a seat."

I observed the rows of cupboards and cabinets leaving barely any wall to sight, as I sat in one of the revolving chairs inside Dad's office at home.