forty

||CHAPTER 40||
《¤》

I wasn't dumb when it came to guys, but I'm not sure if I was too smart when it came to a certain guy named Vansh Mehra.

"Uhh... what?" I asked at his proposal.

"I can repeat that in three different languages, but you have to agree in the end," he shrugged. His sudden movement caused his maroon blazer to crease momentarily while his tie hung loose from his neck. He was attractive, his body language was attractive, his personality was attractive; I never denied that.

And no, he wasn't asking me out, ironically, because he was asking me to eat with him and our group.

"I..." How the hell was I suddenly being speechless around him? I cleared my throat. "I can't- exams start next Monday and Armaan helps me with Physics."

I wasn't lying. Most of my recess time was spent with Armaan and the Physics text book, while my friends were asking me to accompany them to the canteen.

"Oh my god," Ishita exclaimed. "Arvika Deewan worrying about exams?!"

I narrowed my eyes at her. "I am forced to worry about my grades now," I turned back to Vansh and Arnav.

"You could ask any one of us!" Vansh complained. "I mean, we know we aren't as bright as your new friend, but we are pretty decent. Ek din tho aana..."

I had trailed him out the moment I had spotted Mickey cross our corridoor from the window. He had turned to look inside our classroom, but I doubt he saw me. Eitherways, it was an indication that he was going to do the work for me.

"...he's right," I heard Arnav saying. When I glanced back at them, Vansh had an impassive look governing his features. He had seen the exchange.

I opened my mouth to reply, but someone cut me to it.

"Arvika!"

Armaan needed to work on his timings.

I didn't need to look at the people surrounding me to know that they were glaring at Armaan.

"Armaan, hey," I straightened up and fetched my Physics reference book. "I did those ques-"

"Uhm, great, but I think we need to skip today's study session."

I studied his face. Something was wrong, he was looking a bit scared to approach us.

"May I know why?"

Ritwik, Vansh, Arnav and Ishita stopped glaring at him, looking at each other with an expression I knew too well- something I used to play with.

"I guess I'll study Chemistry today."

He was quick to leave, and I didn't stop him.

"Do you want me to pretend that that was natural?" I looked at Arnav.

"Look, Vika," they managed to make me follow them to the Canteen. "You should know who your actual friends are."

"I'm pretty sure I do," I said to him. "What is your problem with him?"

"As long as he doesn't have any with us," Ritwik replied, "we won't have any with him. He is going to use you, Arvika. Believe me, I know people like him."

Ishita squeazed my hand, and I knew she didn't mean the words she said, "He might be good with you Vika, but you are one of us now. We don't mix with them."

I had no energy to fight them. It was of no use.

I wasn't able to get out of the Canteen to meet Mickey, and with the possibility of Vansh knowing that I was up to something, I wasn't going to risk it either. So I sat with my friends at our usual table, mustering up a smile. "Well, it warms my heart that you guys care about me so much."