fifty

||CHAPTER 50||
《¤》

"...long time no see?"

I froze. I fucking froze.

"What a pleasant suprise, Mr. Oberoi," I said in a clipped tone. "You're not satiated by your step-daughter's dealings anymore, I see?"

"Don't worry, Arvika. I'm very much sure that you're capable of many dealings. How is Arnav anyway?"

"And what makes you worry about my brother's health?"

The moment of silence relapsed into the moment of honest dishonesty.

"It's genuine concern from my side," He said.

"Among other things," I completed for him.

"You should use your brain in your exams the way you use it for matters regarding me, beta. Shayad tumhara bhala ho."

"Why are you calling my brother?" I cut it down.

I heard him heave a sigh. "When you're free, make sure to give Maanyata a call. She misses you, and you keep on hurting her."

"Atleast I don't give her false hopes about giving a shit about what she thinks. Anyways, I'll keep that in mind," I replied, "I'd wish you a Good Day, but hey you had a chat with me." He was not going to confess anything.

"It's always refreshing to talk to you, Arvika."

"There's no pleasure to be seeked here. So, Good Bye."

I clicked the line before he could.

Daadi wasn't in my room when I went back. Arnav was staring at the ceiling, and I was fighting the urge to ask him about the call.

"Kaun tha?" He asked, turning on his side, making some space for me to sit.

I looked at him, really looked. In his eyes, I could see the dreaded talk. The possibility of me knowing, and the brewing rage, and the possibility of me not knowing and then ensuing the unknown formalities. But he was exhausted right now. I didn't want him to stress anymore than he already had.

"Koi nahi," I replied, sitting, playing with his phone. I didn't know the password, but it won't take long for me to figure it out. "The normal sim-card company calls. Why haven't you blocked them yet?"

Translation: What was that?

Pinching the bridge of his nose and rubbing his lips together, he closed his eyes. "I don't know."

He didn't need to speak for me to hear the I don't know anymore.

¿¤?

The Mehra household was everything that a normal housewife dreamt of, I had once heard a lady say during a luncheon party at their house when I was about six years old.

I remembered, because my mother had agreed. It was during that period that my parents had shown signs of not loving each other anymore.

I remembered, because somewhere, I wanted to not have a brother too, and probably envied Vansh, because he didn't need to share the spotlight.  Or toys. Or friends.

And now, standing outside the door of the generously huge bungalow, I couldn't help but remember that luncheon party. It was dark outside, and I had sent my driver with my car back. Ringing the doorbell twice, I waited.

Bufard- their labrador, named after the Phineas and Ferb character- started barking from inside before their servant opened the door.

"Hello, I'm Arvika. Vansh se milne ayi hoon."