fifty-four

||CHAPTER 54||
《¤》

It was Karan's turn to laugh cynically.

And when I say cynically, it does mean that the way he laughed almost looked genuine. I stood outside the door, waiting for his amusement to subside naturally.

"You want to... settle things?" He said in between his laughter.

"That's what I plan on doing once your take on this hilarious situation is over?" I was slipping back to my business tone, no matter how hard I tried not to.

"Had I not made it clear ki mujhe tum logo ki shakl taq nahi dekhni?"

I gulped. "Karan, please. I'm here to apologise."

"Can you please wait here for a minute? I'll just go grab a coke and popcorn. This is getting amusing."

His sarcasm was not appreciated, but I was trying hard not to spite him off anymore than I already had. He got the hint, when I hugged myself, looking away.

"Come in, but if you take even more than ten minutes, trust me Arvika Deewan, you haven't seen my worst side."

I followed him into his house, which hadn't changed a bit since the last time we were here for our study session. He had been sweet back then. I had turned him into an overly sweet monster now.

I didn't wait for him to ask me to sit; I occupied the single sofa on his right.

"You can start speaking, the room isn't bugged."

Well, I had hoped it wasn't. "Whatever you decide after this, whether you accept my apology or not, I want you to spare Vansh out of it. He had nothing to do with this, he found out accidentally. If you don't go back to the way you guys were before, remember I still have your... information."

He scoffed. "That's a very hazy line you're drawing between an apology and blackmail."

I heaved a sigh. I wasn't so good at this. "Karan-"

"No, Arvika. Just get to the damn point."

"I am," I licked my lips. "I'm really sorry for... invading your privacy, your personal life. I had no right to do that."

"Of course you didn't! But do you think we both care about that?"

"Listen to me, Karan. In the beginning, yes, I was scrounging for gold. You were acting suspicious and you obviously know me enough to call me a... manipulative bitch. And I am, but..."

The words weren't coming out of my mouth. I was stuck, just like the breath in my lungs.

"But? I'm not gonna hang around here all day, Deewan."

"I couldn't live with myself if I even thought about going with what I was about to do initially, and you know that's not me-"

"I'm sorry, but is this a story telling competition? Hey, I have one of mine too! It's called Fcuk yourself Deewan!"

He stood up to move, but the unshed tears in my eyes made him stop. "Karan... please."

He sighed, bored of this. I continued.