sixty-eight

||CHAPTER 68||
《¤》

"Okay," Ritwik released a sigh when the elevator door closed in front of us. "I wanted to tell this to you pehele hi, but hum akele hi nahi ho rahe the."

"Hold this," I handed him the file before bending down to tie the laces of my shoes.

"Ye kya hai?" He played with the flaps of the file. "Oho, confidential."

The file was sealed, so there was no way he could open it. Standing back up, I snatched it out of his hands. "So you were saying..."

"I was saying," he reached his hands inside his jeans pocket, "this happened."

He swiped through a few screens on his phone before handing it to me.

Glancing at the picture of him shirtless, and somehow hugging a giant soft toy, I frowned. "You... became a porn-star?"

His face contorted to express contempt. "Tum dono bhai-behen kitney judgemental ho!"

"Hey, look," I placed my palm on his shoulder. "It's okay, if that's the career you want to-"

"No!" He said, annoyed. "That's not what's happening here," he grabbed his phone, tapping once and showing it to me again. "This is what I'm talking about."

"Oooh," I exclaimed, glancing at his red face and the chat between him and the girl from Easton. "Tu tho bada bewakoof nikla."

The elevator dinged, before he could reply, indicating that we had reached the floor of the admin office. I walked out first, scanning through the entire chat, which was not long to begin with. Ritwik could not chat with a girl.

"The hell do you mean?" He hurried behind me. "Usko maine ek teddy bear gift kiya, okay?"

Handing him back the phone, I scoffed. "Bro, woh bas ek saal chhoti hai humse, ek saal ki nahi hai. Teddy bears?"

Flustered, he groaned. "Par picture tho PG-13 ka hai na! And ladkiyo ko tho ye soft toys and chocolates pasand hai!"

I shook my head. "Fine, maan liya she is the kind of girl that probably likes to play with soft toys, but..."

"But? But what?! Woh kyu nahi reply kar rahi hai? Wait, this isn't the dining area, what are we doing here?"

We had arrived in front of Mr. Chaudhry's cabin, but no one was around. Knocking twice, I waited for a response, but none came.

"Let's go, have some food," I shrugged.

"Of course, that was the initial plan. For a moment I thought you were kidnapping me."

I rolled my eyes. "This is why she isn't replying."

He narrowed his eyes at me while entering the dining area. "What do you mean?"

The buffet line was not long, so Ritwik and I grabbed our plate and filled it with whatever seemed appetising. Everything did.

"You asked her whether she had any boyfriends before."

"Did that creep her out?" He asked, scraping out a chair.

"You made it too obvious. But that's not all," I explained. "When she asked why you thought she'd have a boyfriend, you said-"

"-even my ugliest of friends do-"

"-spot on!" I clapped for him cheerfully.

But he didn't understand. Nodding slowly, he replied, "This is my poker face, mujhey ab bhi nahi samjha kuch."