forty-six

||CHAPTER 46||《¤》

||CHAPTER 46||
《¤》

I was aware the exact moment Vansh had entered the cafè. The bell on the glass door jingled, and I had heard it over the chaotic noise of the crowded place.

"...my sister really is so dumb! I don't understand- what is he doing here?"

I didn't need to turn to know who he was referring to. But I did anyway.

Vansh didn't meet my eyes at first, he had made it straight to Mickey's table. Not until did Mickey smile my way did he know I was there. But I turned back before he could look at me.

"I... don't know," I replied to Armaan.

Armaan looked at his watch. "You know what, I should get going anyways. It's getting late, Ammi must be worried."

I didn't stop him when he picked his bag and stood up, me following him. "We're still friends, right?"

He had caught Vansh's eyes, but he smiled my way anyway. "Not if these Satrangi Koolfis aren't a regular treat."

I watched him leave, and I could see he was trying to be bold for me, to show me he was unaffected by their presence.

But why was I?

Wiping my fingers on a tissue paper, I made my way to Mickey's table.

"Sorry for interrupting your date," Mickey greeted with a wicked smile, "but I didn't know that he could even afford this place. My bad."

His taunt didn't affect me the way Vansh's stiff posture did.

"You don't need to know either," I replied, "just get to the point."

Mickey leaned back in his seat, eyeing me and Vansh, the grin not leaving his face. "Weren't you guys a couple?"

"I don't see how that should matter regarding the Gaur case," Vansh says, easing out of the stiffness.

"It ain't. Just wondering," he laughed. "Geez."

I cleared my throat, to let him start.

"So," Mickey shifted to his no-nonsense mode, which I doubted he ever had in the first place. "You might already know that Mr. Gaur is actually a Kaushal. Samarth Kaushal."

We nodded. We had figured it out long ago.

"Okay, so... Ever since Samarth Gaur started his career in Mystic High, he has been mysterious. But no one actually gives a damn, except of course, you both."