Chapter One

As Ginny, and Hermione stepped onto the Platform of Nine and Three Quarters to board the scarlet train bound for Hogwarts for the last time she felt a wave of nostalgia. After the war had ended, despite encouragement to take an immediate place in the Ministry of Magic, she decided to do what was most important to her: finish her education.
Ron, Harry,Ginny, and Hermione had spent the summer touring the United States, and had had a lovely time. They each had their own favorite stop.
    Ron's had been Florida. None of them had ever been on a beach where the water was warm, and the sand was sugar white. Hermione smiled to herself every time she pictured the horrendous sunburn he had gotten.   

     Ginny had favored the muggle magic of New York City. Broadway, the Empire State Building, the carriage ride through Central Park in Harry's arms. None of it failed to amaze her.

      Then Harry. Harry had been fondest of Phoenix, Arizona. The only explanation he gave Hermione was that there was nothing about it that reminded him of his childhood, Privet Drive, or the war. He spent every night outside watching the sun set over the desert.

     All three were amazed watching American football for the first time. Ron had talked of nothing else for weeks, and Hermione had seen nothing funnier than his attempts to teach the sport to his brothers, Seamus, and Dean one Sunday afternoon at the Burrow.

      Hermione did enjoy the atmosphere of the game, but her favorite stop had been Ilvermony. It's structure was nothing like the other three wizarding schools which were all castles. Ilvermony instead greatly resembled the many muggle colleges they had passed... just a bit larger. The professors had all been very kind to them, and had wonderfully answered all of Hermione's questions. Ginny had said it was her least favorite stop... too many pretty young witches determined to hit on Harry. Hermione always laughed at her jealousy. She thought Ginny was by far one of the most beautiful girls to ever grace the earth. Her fiery hair, and attitude, her light blue eyes, and her bright smile has bewitched every male, wizard and muggle,  alike during their trip. Harry was not a jealous guy. Just a protective one. He looked at her as if she were the sun in his life, and more than once on the trip she had found herself very jealous of their love.
Not to suggest her and Ron's relationship was bad... Hermione thought. Just  very different. Neither of them were particularly romantic beings,nor were they the best at talking about their feelings. Hermione hated to admit to herself, but she was far too factual for flirting, and deep conversations about the future, and her love for Ron. Ron, well, Hermione smiled knowing she had said it best herself. He had the emotional range of a teaspoon. Unlike Harry's constant assurance to Ginny he would love her forever, Ron, Hermione thought grudgingly, had reveled in the attention of the other girls. He had decided not to return to Hogwarts after being asked to play with the Chuddley Cannons. A most unintelligent decision, but one that made him happy.
Harry had decided to start his career as well, he had been given early acceptance into the Aurors and Hermione could not have been prouder. Harry was going to do wonderful. Not that that stopped Ginny from sniffling as they said their goodbyes. "Ginny, Harry killed Voldemort. I think he can survive auror training." Hermione giggled. "Oh I'm not worried he's going to die! I'm just going to miss you! Write to me at least every other day! I want to hear about everything!" Harry rolled his eyes, but agreed, giving Ginny one last dreadfully long kiss. "Snogging again. All the time. Every where. It's like they forget I'm here." Ron looked slightly green. Hermione smiled and stepped into his arms giving him a tight hug.

"Let them be in love. As nauseating as it might be." She added.

"Now you write to me too 'Mione. I'm not as demanding as my sister, but at least once a week, please. I am really going to miss being a part of Hogwarts stories."

"You could come back. The Cannons can wait." Hermione tried one last time.

"Nice try. But no. The Cannons are my life dream. I'm not giving it a chance to slip away."

Hermione smiled. "You may be a part of a new team Ron. But Weasley is still our King."

"You always know exactly what to say. I'm going to miss it."

"The year will be over before we know it, and this can continue. And I'm sure Headmistress McGonagall won't object to visits from a conquering hero."

"That's Harry, love."

"And you, Ron. And me. We were all in this together. Still are."

He placed one soft kiss on her lips, and grinned at her as she grabbed her bags and made her way on to the train.

As she, Ginny, and Luna settled into a compartment a flash of light caught her eye outside of the window. She let out a soft gasp as she saw something she never expected to see. Draco Malfoy and his mother striding across the Platform to board the train. As she stared unabashedly, Draco turned towards her, and gave her one nasty smirk, before boarding the train. Hermione felt herself subconsciously gripping the edge of her left sleeve.

"You okay?" Ginny asked turning her attention towards Hermione.

"Yes. Yes, Of course. Now Luna, what was it you were saying about you, and Neville?"

"Oh, mainly that I don't think we are very well suited. But that is okay. Very few relationships are perfect." Luna replied in her very nonchalant, airy way. As the girls fell in to deep conversation on the "extremely serious matter" Hermione's thoughts drifted far away she forgot all about the silver haired boy whose presence accompanied trouble.