Chapter Two

Hermione, Ginny, and Luna entered the great hall in their robes. Hermione's fingers brushed her Head Girl badge on their way to brush away some stray hairs from her face, and she grinned. She was so proud. She could only assume Neville was Head Boy and couldn't wait to congratulate him. He had changed so much from the young boy on the train whom she'd helped find a toad with. He was tall, handsome, and full of confidence, Hermione couldn't understand for her life why Luna was losing interest in him. But love is a mysterious thing. As they entered the great hall, and were seated a silver cat jumped onto the podium before the students, and shifted. Professor McGonagall stood before the students and there was a a rush of excited whispers from the younger students. Hermione just smiled at her Headmistress. "Good evening, and welcome back students. To our First Years, welcome to Hogwarts. May your years here be full of learning and fun. To our students who returned to complete their last year I greatly commend you. Putting one's education first is a very admirable quality. To all other students, thank you for your return to Hogwarts. As you all can see complete reconstruction of the castle has taken place over the summer, as well as necessary staff changes." Her voice became grave. "Everyone here has suffered great loss, whether it was during the Battle here at Hogwarts, or during the year previous to it. But that is over with. And to the best of our ability we will not speak of it. Remove your grudges against each other and try to stand united this year, it is our only way to heal. With that being said I'd like to announce our Head Boy, and Girl this year. Two students I think are worthy of being leaders for our school. Please stand to be recognized. For the Head Girl, we have Hermione Granger." Hermione felt her face flush at the applause that greeted her as she stood. "For our Head Boy," Hermione searched for Neville at the table. "We have Draco Malfoy." Hermione froze. As did everyone else. When Draco rose to his feet, the only person who clapped was McGonagall, followed by the other professors. He quickly sat back down followed by Hermione. "Congratulations to you both. I hope to make this the most successful year of our school yet. Now to quickly review some of our school rules before the sorting ceremony. Hermione wasn't paying attention. Only when Ginny tapped her shoulder did she wake from the fog. "Hermione, it's time to leave the great hall... do you remember where your new room is?" "Yes, it's on the seventh floor." "I still have my DA coin... if you need me... for any particular reason... call." Hermione have a weak smile. "I'll be okay Gin, sleep well. Tomorrow is the first day of classes!" "Only you would sound excited about that. Night."
Hermione made it to the common room, and took a first look. As to be neutral the entire place was decorated in hangings of gold, and silver. Their was a couch, and a love seat both black. The rug was extremely soft and white. Hermione made her way down the hall way to find three doors. Two on the left, one on the right. The first had a silver plaque on it that read "Draco Malfoy." The second a gold bearing her name. Hermione pushed the door open, and grinned. It was beautifully decorated with a queen sized bed. The headboard was white as was the rug. And while they were technically her house colors the gold accents were closer to rose gold, and the red bedding was a much softer red. It was feminine, and delicate with a large desk with a book shelf next to it. Even the headboard had shelves built into it she noticed with a grin. Hermione got straight to work unpacking. Once she finished she went back to the common room to drink a cup of tea by the fire place. It was honestly extremely nice. The entire hall had most likely had to be renovated after the war, and it was obvious more effort had been put into modernizing the decor. As she settled onto the couch she had to appreciate the way the fire looked inside the black and gold fire place. The whole area was perfect, and the cherry on top was that Draco was absolutely no where to be seen. "Hello, Granger." A voice drawled from behind her sending chills like knives up her spine.
Perhaps she had spoken too soon.