Chapter 16

The next Hogsmeade weekend Ginny went to see Harry, but Hermione chose to stay behind. A fresh blanket of snow had fallen on the grounds of Hogwarts, and Luna had invited her to a snow ball fight by the lake.

She had skipped the makeup, and pulled on a shirt, sweater, and coat. Jeans, scarf, hat, boots. Done! She raced out the door, and down the stairs for breakfast.

Sausage and crepes, were an odd but delicious combination she decided as she made her way out of the school.

The cold air bit at her face as she made her way down to the lakeside. Even against snow Luna's blonde locks were the palest and shiniest thing outside.

"Hermione! I'm so glad you made it." Luna chirped.

Hermione could see the hefty pile of snowballs she had already made, and got to work on her own.

"Wouldn't have missed it for anything. The first snowfall is always the best to play in!"

"Exactly my thought." She smiled.

Soon Hermione was ready.

"Now Luna, just because we are friends it does not mean you can expect me to go easy on you." Hermione warmed.

"Oh Hermione. That should be the least of your worries." Luna said airily.

Without another words notice, in a sleek quick motion, Hermione has been pegged in the face with a small globe of snow.

In the time it took her to recover from the shock, she was hit with three more.

That was enough for her to come to her senses and begin to throw them at Luna as quickly as she could running and ducking as necessary. The two found themselves so caught up in their game they didn't notice the two men passing by until it was too late.

"Bloody hell! What are you a chaser?" Blaise cried trying to get the snow out of his eyelashes, while Malfoy roared with laughter.

"I hadn't considered it." Luna,  laughed. "Should I?"

"I don't think we would ever have a chance of beating Ravenclaw again, so no, I'd prefer you not consider it."

"Here." Luna said moving over to help him. "Let me help. I swear I didn't mean to hit you. I rarely miss."

"You have a remarkable arm." Malfoy commented, and Hermione stood mouth open.

Draco Malfoy had just given someone else a compliment?

"It's all logic. The angles, speed, trajectory. It's all analyzable." She said lightly as she removed bits of snow from Blaise's eyebrows.

"Oh calm down. I'm not infectious, and I'm pure blooded. You have no reason flinch so much." She added.

Hermione states for a moment at the stark  contrast between the two before her. Dark skin and darker hair, white hair and blue eyes. Both incredibly beautiful.

Snow hit the back of her hair. She turned to see a grinning Malfoy.

"What,  Granger? When was I ever going to get another chance to throw something at you, and it be socially acceptable?"

Later that night Hermione began was in her room when an owl dropped a package on her window sill. She opened the window, and brought the package in only to see it addressed from Ron with little hearts.

She sat down on her bed smiling, and began the process of opening. Out slid a slinky silver piece of material that as she held it up by the straps, revealed it self to be a dress. A very small one.

At that moment Draco appeared at her door

At that moment Draco appeared at her door. "I don't think I'm ever going to finish these cookies, would y-" he paused. "Granger I do believe you have bought the wrong size dress."

"I didn't buy it. Ron sent it to me."

"I see. Now I knew the weasel was unintelligent, but not that he was blind." Malfoy took a quick look at her.

"I'd say your measurements are thirty-four, twenty-five, thirty-eight, making you about a size eight in a dress. That dress is sized for a two."

Hermione checked the tag. "How on earth did you know that?"

"Trust me Granger, I know my clothes like I know my women." He winked and sat the cookies down on her table before leaving.

Hermione walked over and took a cookie before sitting down on her bed. He was right. The sizing was terribly off. And the dress wasn't something Hermione would wear in her wildest dream. It was far too short and tight around the bottom. Was Ron trying to hint at something to her?

She fell asleep that night confused, and upset, but a little thankful to know that some guys out there noticed the small things.

(For all my lovely American readers a British size eight is an American size four.)