Chapter 31

Ron stood at the kitchen door, but not alone. To his left stood Pansy. Dressed in a slim back dress not suitable at all for the occasion.

"Well that tends to happen when you don't let your family know you will be coming, and show up a half hour late." Percy replied, a familiar pompousness entering his voice. One that no one seemed to mind.

"Who is this?" Molly asked, looking to Pansy.

"Pansy Parkinson. I'm sorry Ron didn't tell you I was coming." She said smiling a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"Sit." Arthur commanded in his quiet way and the pair did. Right across from Hermione, and Draco.

The two fixed extremely different plates. Pansy's held a bit off egg with some tomato. Ron's included the contents of the table. As they began to eat conversation returned.

"How is Arnold, Ginny?"

"Adorable as ever. Although he did pee on my potions homework last week."

That caused a bit of laughter on one end of the table where as on the other side Bill, Percy, and Penelope were talking ministry business with Arthur, while Fleur and Molly conversed about the baby.

As if sensing that Ron and Pansy felt left out, the first attempt came to include them.

"So Pansy, how long have you and Ron known each other?" Was Molly's polite way of saying 'I have never heard of you before, who are you?'.

"Oh we have been in school since first year together. Last night I finished the night as his date at the ball."

"The only successful of three." Ron added glaring at Hermione bitterly.

"Don't. Don't you even begin to pretend that to be Hermione's fault. Ginny said leveling Ron with her glare. "You lost Mione because you cheated on her, and Rosalie because you spent the entire ball regretting it."

"It's okay, Ginny." Hermione said quietly willing Ginny not to make a scene before her family, but it was a little too late. Silence had descended upon the Weasleys as everyone watched what was unfolding before them.

"Are you really going to side against me? My only sister?"

"You are in the wrong this time. I don't like to be wrong." She explained simply.

"Oh, and she isn't? Bringing a death eater into our home!" With a bang of her fork Hermione stood up, eyes blazing.

"You listen to me, Ronald. You were lucky to grow up in a family that fought for the good above all else. Do not think that makes you righteous. Draco was not and has still managed to reform, and do what is right. In the same situation as Draco was raised I do believe you would have come out a monster!"

"Enough you two!" Molly snapped. "Draco is a guest at our table as is Pansy. They WILL be respected. And Hermione despite his recent wrongdoings Ron is my son and you will not speak to him that way. Must I treat you two like children? If you have nothing nice to say then keep your jaws hinged! Don't you start giggling, Ginevra, there is plenty of scolding left for you should I need it!" Her grin dropped instantly.

As if to relieve the growing tension, Harry jumped to his feet, and grabbed Ginny's hand.

"Uh, we have big news. Don't we Gin?" Harry said nervously.

"That's right." Ginny stuttered.

Everyone instantly shut up to hear what news had given Ginny trouble speaking. Harry gently took his hand in hers, and raised it.

"We are engaged."

A gasp slipped from Hermione's lips, followed by an excited squeal from Molly

"Oh my baby!" She cried out rushing over to Ginny. "Arthur, look!"

Hermione turned to see how Ginny's father was taking the news only to see he was not the least bit surprised.

"Harry came by and asked on Thursday night, for permission to ask. Welcome to the family, Harry. This time legally."

"Arthur Weasley! How could you not tell me!"

"Mollywobbles if I had told you, there wouldn't have been anything for the couple to announce." Molly blushed at the nickname, but smiled fondly at her husband.

"Welcome to the family, Harry!" Percy congratulated.

"Correction: welcome to hell." George said ignoring the angry response from the rest of his family.

"You be good to my sister,  Harry." Ron warned with a smile on his face.

"Congratulations." Pansy said with little interest.

Hermione got up and went to hug her best friends. Ginny tightly gripped Hermione, and Harry gave her an ultra fast hug.

"Now Hermione, you are going to have to keep our physical contact to a minimum now," Harry joked "I'm an engaged man."

"I can not believe you just suggested I could possibly view you as anything other than a brother!"

"Rita Skeeter certainly could. Read the papers lately?" Bill said with a tiny smirk.

"Rita Skeeter can take a long walk off a short pier. And frankly I like this minimal contact thing." Draco said wrapping his arm around Hermione.

Behind them Ron made a slight gagging noise, but said nothing. The glare from his mother was warning enough.

Pansy just smiled at them. The coldest smile Hermione had ever seen. It didn't take being an incredibly bright witch to know Pansy was up to something. Hermione just didn't know what.