Chapter 28

After the last few people had made their way away from the table, McGonagall approached Hermione, and Draco.

"As a fan of unity, and musical theatre, I can not tell you two how pleased I am to see you here together. I originally wanted the two of you, and Misters Potter, Weasley, and Longbottom to start off our dancing with your dates. You two being each other's date makes that far less complicated for me. In a few moments I will signal to you, I would like you to make your way into the middle of the floor then. Am I understood."

"Yes, Headmistress." The two said in unison as she smiled at them.

Her signal came a few minutes later, and the two made their way to meet the other couples in the center.

"Neville!" Hermione whispered in slight shock. "Where is Luna?"

"How should I know? She refused my invitation. She's rather cold to me lately. I was lucky though, Hannah here accepted my invitation." He replied nodding to his left where Hannah stood looking quite lovely in a purple gown.

"You look wonderful, Hermione." Harry said smiling at her, before casting a warning look to Malfoy. "You treat her with the utmost respect, understand?"

"While usually I would not want to miss an opportunity to piss you off Potter, this time you have no worries. I have no intention of ever hurting Hermione's feelings. Unlike some others who happen to be present." He replied tossing a meaningful glance in Ron's direction.

Ron let out what appeared to be a low growl, clearly tightening his grip on his date, who let out a hiss of pain, and slapped his shoulder.

"My bad." He mumbled to her, not for a second removing his eyes from Hermione. Specifically the shoulder Draco's hand was protectively wrapped around.

He looked ready to attack Malfoy when the music began. The four couples slowly and gracefully completed their waltz about the room. Slowly other dancers entered the floor, and the room came to life. After a few minutes the song changed to a tango, causing many dancers left the floor unsure of how to move to the new rhythm. Hermione tried to, but Draco grabbed her hand.

"Now Granger, I have never know you to back away from a challenge." He smirked at her.

"It's past the point of no return."

The two of them began to move to the slow sensual dance, Hermione following Draco's easy lead. He began to spin her about, and once or twice lifted her where he deemed necessary and in just a few moments Hermione forgot entirely the purpose of the night.

Ginny watching the two was in shock. Despite what Hermione had told her, she could see there was more forming to the story. There was most certainly something there that wasn't there before. They only looked at each other, and hardly for a moment tore from each other's gaze. Every movement looked choreographed even though Ginny knew it to be impossible. It was quite the sight.

Lost in dance, the two turned the dance floor into their domain, all others slowly moving away to watch. It was at this point Rosalie gave up on Ron, who hadn't for a moment stopped staring at Hermione.

As the song drew to a close, Draco slowly, and lowly dipped Hermione. She tilted her head black laughing at the sheer absurdity of it, and when she lifted her head black up to look at him she had stars in her eyes.

His eyes slipped for just barely a moment down to red lips before he found himself kissing her.

Hermione without hesitation kissed him back, shuddering at the warmth that ran through her entirely the moment his lips met hers. It wasn't till she registered the applause all around her that it occurred to her they were being watched very closely.

She quickly pulled away blushing and laughing nervously. Draco had a pink tinge to his pale cheeks as well. All around them was clapping and whistling.

Amongst the crowd however, two individuals were far from happy. Ron was beginning to steam from his ears when a delicate hand tapped his shoulder. He whipped around to meet the gaze of flaming green eyes.

"Parkinson? What do you want?" He asked her, annoyed.

"The same as you, Ron. I want to see them torn apart."