Chapter 38

"Ginny, it's beautiful."

"It's simple. My mum wants me to wear a ball gown, be a princess. But it's my wedding day, and on the most important day of my life I want to look like me."

"You do. Harry will love it. He isn't marrying a princess, he's marrying the girl who regularly kicks his arse on the quidditch field."

"I think so too

"I think so too." She whispered at her reflection tearing up.

"Hey, none of that. You have to look pretty. We are about to go eat cake with attractive men."

She laughed and wiped her eyes.

"Well I do like cake."

*************************************

"Harry!"

"Ginny, love! 'Mione! How was dress shopping?" He asked holding out his arms for his fiancé.

"Wonderful. I bought one!"

"Any chance I can see it!"

"Not one in three billion." She said with a stern look.

"Uh oh, that's the mum look she's giving you mate." Ron said stepping out of the bakery.

As Ginny began to fuss at her brother, Hermione stepped forward.

"Hello, Ron." She said politely.

"Hermione, you look great. I'm glad you came." He said giving a genuine smile. The kind that once gave her butterflies, but now only eased her temper.

"Did you think I wouldn't? I am the maid of honor."

"Of course you are. Where is the ferret?"

"I'm sure he will be along any time now. I notice your arm is pug free."

"Pansy is also running late."

"Well," Harry said with a tiny bit of strain in his voice. "Why don't we head in, and decide what we know we don't want to eat."

"Carrot." Hermione snapped.

"Anything with brown sugar or cinnamon." Ron retorted.

"Thanks for the suggestions." Ginny replied in a voice that suggested she could care less what either of them wanted at the moment.

The four were settled in the shop eating a piece of almond cake when bells on the shop door jingled (very reminiscent of muggle shops Hermione thought).

In strolled Pansy and Draco both laughing brightly.

"That was when you cursed him! His foot was so giant!" She giggled pushing him.

"Hey, he deserved it! Big ugly git insinuated I was dyeing my hair."

"Well we can't have that now can we." Pansy said smiling up at him through her lashes.

Ginny cleared her throat.

"Glad you two decided to show up. We have decided almond isn't for us, but there is a nice chocolate next." She said thinly masking the disdain in her voice.

"Lovely." Draco said, eyes still on Pansy.

"Pansy, sweet heart, why don't you come here by me." Ron said calmly.

She crossed over to stand by him, and gave him a smile.

"Hey, Draco." Hermione spoke. His eyes seemed to clear out of a fog, and he walked over to join her.

"Hermione. How are you today?"

"Better now that you have arrived."

He smiled back at her, but it lacked something. He was off. But she couldn't place what was wrong.

The cake tasting went well, ending with the couple deciding upon a raspberry white chocolate cake. As the couples were all splitting ways however, Pansy called out to Draco.

"Do remember to meet me tonight! You did promise to tutor me on Muggle Studies."

"Of course." Draco said beaming back at her.

As soon as they were a distance away, Hermione turned to face him.

"I had no idea you two were so chummy."

"Pansy is an old friend, Hermione."

"That isn't how I remember it. If I recall correctly, our whole relationship was fabricated to drive her away from you." She said trying not to sound bitter.

"Things have changed. Pansy is one of the few people who understands where I am coming from. She gets the darkness, having a bad past, being disliked by many. She is like me."

"She is like the old you, Draco! You don't need empathy, you need sympathy. Someone who may not know your struggle by experience, but by listening. Someone to draw you out of it, not back in."

"That isn't your decision to make, Hermione! I appreciate all you have done to help me, but I will not have you telling me who I can and cannot associate with."

"Fine. Forget I ever said anything."

"I will do my very best. Now if you will forgive me I have to get ready for a tutoring session."

Draco turned his back and walked away from her leaving Hermione frustrated and angry.