Part 34

"You set that up didn't you!" Ron, whisper yelled once he and Pansy were a safe distance from the infirmary.

"Why does it matter? She is fine now."

"Pansy I made this agreement with you to break them up because I want Hermione back. If she's dead I can't very well date her. Besides. You have now set Malfoy up to be her hero."

"Minor issues. So what this one was a failure. I'll do better next time. I'm only just warming up."

"No Pansy, quite the opposite. You need to cool down!"

"Fine I'll discuss future plans with you before hand. Now let's retrieve the food for your darling little mudblood."

Down the hallway just out of their sight
were Harry and Draco.

"What is it you wanted to talk to me about that the girls couldn't hear?" Harry questioned Draco.

"I don't want to worry Hermione, or fire up Ginny, but I think what happened to Hermione was intentional. I found a puddle at the top of the stairs that she slipped in before I took her to the infirmary, but it was gone less than twenty minutes later when I returned. No one but Pomfrey and I knew what had happened to clean it."

"So you think someone is targeting Hermione? That puddle could have been intended for you too?"

"I hadn't thought of that." Draco admitted.

"Either way, no matter who it was intended for I believe you. And I don't think it is because of a war grudge either. I think you and Hermione both  easily could have angered many people at the ball. Not just ex lovers, but people in general who would not want to see the lovely war Heroine that everyone looks up to with an ex Death Eater."

Draco winced at his words, but was even more shocked at what Harry said next.

"Malfoy don't be offended. You had no choice. Besides everyone has scars reflecting a part of them they want to forget now. Everyone looks at my head, and thinks of the scar as a battle mark. Proof of my defeat of an evil wizard. In reality it is proof that I was a horcrux. The most evil form of magic there is was living inside of me for nearly my entire life. I was part of him myself. Neither of us had a say in what happened, but for whatever reason I am glamorized and your name dragged through the dirt. But you handle it with dignity, and I have a lot of respect for you for that reason."

"Wow Potter. Did not know you had it in you. That sounds like something Hermione would tell me." His face drooped at her name, and Harry laughed.

"She's rubbing off on me. Probably for the good. And she is going to be okay."

"I just feel like I have to protect her. I can't imagine something happening to her."

"I think she feels the same way about you. Now come on. The girls are going to think we are off in a closet somewhere."

"Potter, what the hell are you insinuating?"

"You haven't heard the rumors?"