Chapter 23

Hermione was beginning to feel some pressure. She had spent the past few days with Ginny, and Luna who already had their clothing together for the ball. She had yet to shop. And all it seemed Ginny wanted to talk about, was what a "d*ck" Ron had been, and that he would regret it one day. (Hermione had yet to tell her that her ball plans had changed, and Ron was going to regret it far sooner than expected.)

That was if she could find a dress. She wanted it to be perfect. A dress to outshine any, and every dress she had ever worn.

She was still thinking about it when she got back to her dorm. Malfoy was on the couch reading, and nodded to her as she passed.

She made her way down the hall to her room, and once inside sat down at the desk she had turned into a makeup table. She took a look in the mirror, to try to brush away a stray eyelash and froze. For our of the corner of her eye she noticed something hanging on her closet door that had not been there when she had left that day.

She turned around in her chair, and afraid to stand up muttered the summoning charm.

"Accio, dress bag."

Instantly it was in her arms, and shakily she undid the buttons to reveal the dress and gasped.

"Do you like it?"

Her fingers dragged over the dark red material.

"It might be the prettiest dress I have ever seen. Where on earth did you get it?"

"I asked mom for a favor. When she heard I had an actual date for a ball she freaked out, and got a friend of hers who is big in haute couture to make her something. She's incredible with fabric and a wand."

"I can see that... you have to let me repay you for this."

"Absolutely not. Consider it a down payment for the work you will be putting in to give me a higher quality of life.

Hermione raised her eyebrow at him.

"A life without having to duck into corners to avoid Pansy is definitely a step in the right direction."

"Thank you. It's just what I need to face Ron."

"Eh not entirely. Open the bag on the bed."

"But there isn't..." Hermione froze. Where previously had been nothing now was a bag.

She slowly watching him the whole way, made her way over to the bag.

Inside she found earrings, a bracelet, a mask to match the dress, and... women's lingerie."

"Malfoy. Do I even want to know how you discovered my bra size?"

"I asked Luna." He said sheepishly, before defensively adding, "You need proper undergarments for a dress like that."

"I ought to kill her. Wait. Did you tell Luna about the plan?"

"Well yes. She is a very nice girl. She liked the idea a lot."

"I can't thank you enough for all of this. I feel so much better about it now."

"It was my pleasure. Or rather my mother's. I told her what you said, and she seemed to appreciate it. She probably would have gotten you shoes if I hadn't convinced her you would probably want to do that for yourself."

"I think I have the perfect pair already. You have to allow me to thank her one day."

"I'm sure she would like that. Now would you like to try it all on?"

"Yes! But not for you."

His smile faded.

"You will have to wait on that for Saturday."