CHAPTER FIVE

Khaleel said a small prayer before knocking on the large wooden door that opened into his uncle's office.His uncle Hussein, was a man with a golden heart and he had taken care of him as his own son but he always felt nervous whenever he was around him.

Today he was extra nervous since he wanted to talk to him regarding his marriage.What would his uncle think?Was it too early for him to get married?Would he be able to keep a woman happy?

"Come in."

He quickly cleared off his thoughts and opened the large oak door.

"Asalam aleikum Khalo."

"Waleikum salam Khaleel, my son.How have you been?" asked Hussein looking up from the screen of his computer at the same time gesturing his nephew to take a seat on one of the leather chairs.

"Alhamdullilah.How was Yasir's graduation?"

"Splendid.We thank Allah that everything went smoothly.He will be coming to work from tomorrow In Sha Allah.I want you and Hisham to help him."

"Of course Khalo,i would be delighted to help.Umm, i brought you the masjid's construction file and Alhamdullilah all the painting has been completed."

"That's good.Thank you for overlooking it personally Khaleel.I am sure that you have done everything perfectly," his uncle said as he took the file from him and peered over it.

They sat in silence for a while as his uncle studied the file intently.

"Khalo,there is one more thing."

His uncle looked up, one of his eyebrows raised.Khaleel gulped.It was now or never.

"I think i would like to get married,In Sha Allah," he quickly blurted out.

Hussein put down the file and crossed his fingers on the table, a knowing smile on his face.

"Aah,that is good.At least you have some sense in you unlike Hisham.That boy has refused to even go meet the girl."

Khaleel let out a nervous chuckle.He wondered why Hisham was being difficult.

"So, do you have someone in mind or should i tell your aunt to start looking?"

"No no, that will not be necessary.I have come across someone but i only know her name and the fact that she attends the afternoon quran classes at Madinah Masjid."

"Don't worry son.I know the Imam there.I will find out for you and In Sha Allah if its meant to be,it will happen," said his uncle.

"In Sha Allah," said Khaleel as he stood up to go.He reached the door and as he reached for the handle,his uncle stopped him.

"Khaleel, you did not tell me her name," said his uncle, an amused expression on his face.

"Oh, sorry Khalo," he said turning red with embarassment.

"Her name is Yumnah."

************************************

Yasir was extremely glad to be back home.He had missed his room,his bed in fact everything.He was happy to be back in an environment he was familiar with.Having a guide to take him everywhere, had been nerve wrecking but Alhamdullilah he had made it through.

He stood near his bedroom window listening to the birds chirping at the same time enjoying the warm rays of the sun that were streaming in through his window.

"Mama! I have my reasons.Please don't force me."

Yasir cocked his head as he heard shouts from the room next to his.Was that Hisham shouting?Well,that was totally unlike him.And was he shouting at their mother?Had he really heard right?

He quickly gripped his cane and moved towards the room by tapping the cane on the soft carpet.The shouting got louder and Yasir did not have to enter the room to clearly hear everything.

"What reasons Hisham? You are almost turning 26. You have a stable job, you are a good man, then why don't you want to marry?" asked their mother.

Yasir could sense the worry in her quivering voice.He made haste to enter the room in order to stop both of them but Hisham's next words froze him.

"Because of Yasir, Mama.I can't get married because of him."

Because of him?What had he done?He was confused.

"Why?"

"Because i worry about him.Who will take care of him if i get married?I know of all his needs,if i get married i wont get time for my only brother.He needs me Mama."

"Hisham.Don't you forget that your father and i are both still alive.It is our duty to take care of Yasir, not yours.Stop sacrificing your own happiness my son."

Yasir couldn't believe his ears.What nonsense was this?He needed to fix things.

"Akhi!" he said a bit too loud for his liking but he was frustrated.

Hisham and his mother turned to the doorway and Yasir immediately felt his brother's hands on his shoulder to help him get into the room.Hisham made Yasir sit on the bed as silence prevailed the room which had been filled with shouts just a few moments ago.

"Hisham brother, what is this nonsense i am hearing?I would never forgive myself if you sacrifice your life because of me.You always encourage me but today ive realised that you too, see me as a blind man.A disabled man who needs your help to live," said Yasir, his voice full of sadness.

Their mother stood in the corner of the room in silence.It was time the two brothers talked things out and she hoped that Yasir would be able to knock some sense into Hisham's empty brain.She understood her elder son's worry but that was not his problem.He needed to work on his own life, have a family and  move forward their family name.

She wished the same for Yasir too.In fact as soon as she finished with Hisham,she swore to be on Yasir's case.But the fact that Hisham thought that his brother needed him to be his baby sitter, was a slap on the face for her.

Her husband and her, had ensured that Yasir got the best education and never for a minute in life did they want him to think that he was helpless because of his blindness.

Hisham had understood everything wrong.

"It's not like that Yasir.I worry about you okay.You are my baby brother."

"Hisham,dont forget i lived two years in London without you and i survived.What makes you think i can't do the same here,next to Mama and Papa?"

"You don't know women Yasir.I fear that my marriage will separate us."

"HISHAM! Dont forget that i am a woman and i am standing right here.My son, you have pictured women in the wrong light.I assure you that this girl is not like that.Just meet her,we will not force you to marry her," their mother said.

What was wrong with Hisham?His overprotectiveness was destroying his own life.

"Mama is right Akhi,Good women are for good men and you Hisham,are definately a good man.Nothing can go wrong, In Sha Allah.Just put your trust in Allah and take this leap,for me and for our parents," said Yasir hoping that Hisham would agree.

"Okay fine.Il go see her,"Hisham finally relented.

"Now can we group hug?This has been our first fight and i hated it," he added.

They all laughed as they came together.

"What is her name by the way Mama?" asked Yasir.

"Zulekha."

"Mmmh,Hisham and Zulekha.Has a ring to it."

Hisham let out a loud groan and Yasir chuckled.

But if only they knew that the marriage was going to be a test for all of them, especially Hisham.

And hopefully, he was ready for that test.

PLEASE DO VOTE FOR THE STORY :)

THANK YOU FOR READING :)

ASALAM ALEIKUM :)