CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN

He parked his car outside the masjid and leaned back in his seat. Worry lines were etched all over his forehead and just from one glance, one could easily conclude that Hisham Hosseini was stressed.

Very stressed.

He passed his hand over his beard in frustration as guilt consumed him. How could he have talked to Baba like that? Since when had he become so rude? And on top of it all, he had even walked out on them.

Great.

Forget Baba, what would Yasir be thinking of him?

He knew that his younger brother looked up to him but today he had done nothing worth looking up to.

He felt ashamed of himself. But he had had no other option. His outburst had been like a reflex. A protective reflex for his child. For his little baby girl.

His father's decision was not something unexpected for him, in fact deep down right from his childhood, he had always known that he was the one who would take over his father's company. He had made so many plans for that day as well.

First of all, he had planned to treat all employees to free pizza every Monday. That would have been the best way to beat everyone's Monday phobia including himself. Starting the week with free pizza was the best thing he could think of.

Secondly that office. He had imagined himself, Yasir and Khaleel eating their lunch there everyday laughing their heads off. Something similar to today but the difference would have been that they would have no fear of Hitler walking in because then, it would be his office. Hisham Hosseini's office.

The most awesome office. The fun office.

He smiled to himself. Guess he still had too look for a cool name for his office. But then again that would no longer be required. He could never take the position of Ceo. Not for now or for the next three years or so.

Why?

Because he planned on giving all his time and attention to his little Ameera. Yes, he had already thought of her name as well. Ameera meant princess and she would be his princess for sure.

A princess needed love and attention, something he was sure Zulekha would never give their child. So that left only him. Then how could he have accepted to take up the most important and stressful post in the company? He just could not.

And that is why he had decided to give it up.

Just like that.

He raked his hand through his dark hair as he thought of Zulekha.

His wife.

But wife was the last thing she had been. The woman had not even for a second, shown him any love or care and she was doing the same for their child as well.

Already.

She was being so negligent with her pregnancy that he was the one who had to remind her on a daily basis to take her iron supplement tablets and her folic acid. He was the one who had to push her to go get her pregnancy vaccines. He was the one who tried to ensure that she ate healthy and pregnancy friendly food. He was the one who did everything and he knew that it would all be the same even after the delivery.

That is why he had rejected the one post he had always dreamed of and unfortunately for him, he could not even tell his family members as to why he had rejected it.

No he couldn't.

Why?

Because Zulekha didn't want him to. She apparently wanted him to throw her a large party in which she would announce her pregnancy.