CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Bilal did not waste even a single minute in contacting his friend Hussein regarding Yumnah.His daughter had suffered too much already and it was time she knew where she really stood.

His friend had been over the moon on receiving the news though he too had been surprised about the broken engagement.He had promised to talk to Yasir over dinner that very same night.

Bilal could not believe that so much had been going on in his house without his knowledge.How could his daughter have suffered so much?Alone.

Personally,he had no problem with her choice.He had known Yasir since he was a kid and had seen him grow up into the fine young man he was now.He knew very well that the young man had a golden heart and he would treat his Yumnah with all the love and respect that she deserved.

He hoped that his wife would come to her senses soon.As for him,he had done his part as a father and as a Wali.

It was just a matter of time now before their fates got sealed.

****

Hussein Hosseini quietly watched Yasir and Khaleel from the doorway.The two boys were too busy taking a "perfect" picture of his wife's couscous dish,to notice him.

He smiled when he saw Yasir let out a loud laugh.His son had grown up too fast.He still could remember the day he was born and today he had received a marriage proposal for him.He had never thought that such a day would come.He had already told his wife everything and she too had been overwhelmed with happiness.

But he was scared to talk to Yasir.He genuinely did not know how his son would react.He had a feeling that he would say no and he couldn't blame him for that.He very well knew where his son was coming from.

He just hoped for Khair.

"You should have asked me to open for you guys a studio.I wouldn't have sent you both to business school," he said as he walked into the dining room.

"Ya rabb, Hitler is here, hide the camera Khaleel," whispered Yasir but it was still loud enough for his father to hear.

Hussein stifled a smile as he watched his nephew attempt to hide the large camera in his pocket.Like really?He loved intimidating them and the poor kids always fell for it.

"We were just laying the table Khalo,Yasir where are the forks?"

"Khaleel, we are having couscous bro."

"Oh yeah.I usually have couscous wih a fork Khalo.Old habit of mine," said Khaleel nervously.Shucks, he should just have stayed at home and had his usual tea and toast.

"Hussein stop terrrorizing them.Can we all sit and eat?The food is getting cold," said his wife as she pulled out a chair.

Both Yasir and Khaleel let out huge sighs of relief as they too pulled out their chairs.

Hussein watched his son eagerly eat his meal and uncertainty filled his heart.Should he bring it up now at the dinner table?Should he ask him?What if he got angry and stopped eating his food?

Well knowing Yasir,he would never disrespect his food but this was a delicate topic.He looked at his wife who sent him an encouraging look.Well, he might just as well.

"Yasir."

"Yes Baba," he said as he shoved another spoonful of couscous into his mouth.

"I received a marriage proposal for you today."

There was a pindrop silence in the room as everyone including Khaleel waited for Yasir's reaction.

"Oh.Okay," said Yasir as he took a sip of his water.His heart was beating thunderously against his chest and he hoped the others could not hear it.What was this feeling anyway and why?