CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"Asalam aleikum Yasir."

"Waleikum salam Yumnah."

She just could not stop staring at him.There he was finally,standing infront of her with his right hand over his chest.A man she had waited for,for as long as she could remember.Her very first love and In Sha Allah her last.

He was wearing a white kanzu that contrasted well with his dark black hair and short beard.As for his eyes, those were the hazel eyes she wanted to get lost in.And he smelled so nice,which cologne did he use again?

Bilal cleared his throat but no,his daughter was in trance.

"Yumnah!" he said a bit sternly.

Yumnah jumped, her hand flying to her chest.She quickly lowered her gaze, her cheeks all flushed.Ya Allah, what had she been doing?

"I think you guys can sit down.Il just be a few metres away but il be listening to everything," said Bilal stressing on "few" and "everything" while looking at Yumnah.

Yasir gratefully sat down but wait, why had there been a long awkward silence?

"How are you?" she asked hoping that she would not get distracted again.

"Alhamdullilah and you?"

"Alhamdullilah," she replied shyly.Were they only going to stick to pleasantries or what?

"You bake really delicious cookies MashAllah.You should open a bakery or something," said Yasir in an attempt to move their conversation forward.

"Really?You like them?I can bake for you many other types like..."

Bilal immediately got into a coughing fit.Did Yumnah have plans of killing him today or what?

"I mean i can bake many other types of cookies," she said correcting herself.Wow, so much for not getting distracted again.She had not even lasted a minute.Good going Yumnah.

Yasir hid back his smile.Did she really want to bake for him?There was a funny feeling in his stomach when he thought about it.Is that what they called butterflies?

"Okay.Umm,do you pray five times a day?I am sure you do but i might just as well ask,"said Yasir.Those were the few basics he did not want to leave out.

"I pray all my prayers Alhamdullilah but Isha is usually a trial especially if i have overeaten."

"I can understand.Hisham is like that too.He usually is unable to climb the stairs and then starts complaining as to why my dad didn't get an elevator for the house," said Yasir.

Yumnah let out a laugh and Yasir smiled.He could listen to that laugh all day.

"Dont you have a problem with the fact that i am blind?"

"Not at all," said Yumnah and she didnt even want to start discussing his blindness.She saw him for the normal and amazing person he really was.He was not blind for her.Not at all.

"You know i will never be able to see you right?" he asked.

"I know that."

"I might never compliment you on your looks also.What if i compliment you on a day that you look shabby?Then il just be lying to you and i dont like to lie,"  he said,though jokingly.

He was sure she was beautiful.Not that it mattered to him anyway.He could already sense that she had a beautiful heart.

"Well in that case Yasir, you will have to be lying all the time, because Yumnah is always shabby...," blurted out Bilal but stopped when his Yumnah sent him a murderous glare.