CHAPTER EIGHT

From the few occasional hoots and from the chirping of the birds outside,Yasir easily figured out that it was way past dawn.People were already on their way to work.He was going to work too but instead of being excited like he had thought he would be on his very first day,he felt depressed.

Extremeley depressed.

He really could not put a finger on what he was feeling right now since he had never felt this way before.He had not been able to sleep the entire night either which was a first for him.

He had therefore spent the whole night on his prayer mat, praying to Allah to grant him ease from this dreadful feeling.A feeling of losing something priceless.But what?He just could not understand.

"Yasir, are you ready to go downstairs?" asked Hisham as he came in and immediately plopped down on his brother's large bed.

Yasir nodded, speculating whether or not he should tell his brother of his uneasiness.Hisham tended to overreact at times or rather all the time.But then he needed to let it out.He had never felt this sad in his entire life and maybe by talking to his brother,he might feel better.

"Akhi,do you know that feeling of something being snatched away from you yet you can do nothing about it?"he asked.

Hisham looked at his brother skeptically wondering where the question was coming from.

"Yep, a gazillion times," he answered.

"Really Akhi?"

"Yeah"

"Like when?" asked Yasir enthusiastically.

"Whenever the waiter at a restaurant walks right past me with an order similar to mine."

"Akhiiiiii, come on!" groaned Yasir at the same time trying to control his laughter.Hisham really was impossible.

"What? That is the worst feeling ever okay!"

"No Hisham, please tell me.Ive been feeling that way since last night."

Hisham scrutinized his younger brother's face.He did look okay to him so then what was bothering him?

"Okay Yasir, how exactly are you feeling right now?"

"I feel like someone is taking my heart right out of my chest."

**********

Yumnah stood outside the jewellery store with her mother a sad distant look on her face.She knew this particular jewellery store all too well.She had come here mutiple times with her friends,sometimes to choose a ring or at times they would just come to see the latest designs.

Excitement would always course through her whenever they came to this shop, not because of the jewels but because she would be able to see those two particular rings she had chosen.

For her and for him.

"He is such a handsome young man and look at you Yumnah, you foolishly want to reject him," said her mother jolting her out of her deep thoughts.

Yumnah looked up to see Khaleel walking towards them a wide smile on his face.This was not fair to him, he looked so happy yet she preffered to be anywhere else but there.

"Asalam aleikum," said Khaleel as his gaze rested on Yumnah for a few seconds.He had not been able to sleep the entire night.Just the thought that they would be choosing their rings today filled his heart with pleasure.

"Waleikum salam my son," said her overjoyous mother while Yumnah replied her voice barely audible.This was torture for her.

They made their way inside and immediately the old sales lady's eyes lit up when she recognized Yumnah.