Chapter 28

Lily:

The first of the boys to exit their meditation was Nathaniel unsurprisingly. He was excessively malnourished as opposed to Vincent. Since Vincent had entered that state before Nathaniel it didn't take long before he exited as well. They both had begun to breathe heavily as if they'd just run a marathon. 

"Why *pant* do I *pant* feel so exhausted *pant* *pant*," Nathaniel asked with exasperation. His eyes had clouded over with confusion as if he was truly baffled that during meditation he'd felt so energized but upon exiting he'd felt depleted. 

Vincent nodded his head in agreement instead of talking. 

"Mind Cultivation as opposed to Body Cultivation seems to use the energy within the body to absorb the outside source of Elements. Since your body doesn't naturally have an affinity for all the Elements it has to overwork itself to use and strengthen your Mind. I'm just guessing though. Here's some food to help revitalize yourselves," I said as I pushed them both the sandwiches and fruit that Celia had brought up. 

Nathaniel dug in as soon as the food had been presented to him where as Vincent delicately picked up some apple slices as he continued to try and stabilize his breathing. 

"Nathaniel, slow down on inhaling your food. You'll cho-," I was cut off by the sounds of said boy swallowing his food down the wrong pipe. As he begun to turn purple and hit his chest I put some of my magic in my hand before pressing it against his back. My magic gently slid inside of his body and helped push the food blocking his air ways. He swallowed before taking in large gulps of breath. 

After a few more coughs to dislodge anymore wayward pieces of food he blushed bright red and mumbled a thank you to me. 

Nathaniel:

I could just die of mortification. How very impressive I must've looked choking on a sandwich in front of Lily. Not to mention Vincent had stopped with a strawberry midair as he watched me in mild fascination. Or at least that's what I was guessing that stupid look was about. 

"Thank you," I mumbled and hoped the floor would just swallow me up. When Lily just smiled at my thanks I felt even more dumb. 

After that episode of a near death experience caused by a sandwich I decided to take tentative bites and chewing at least twenty times before swallowing. 

"Do you both feel any changes now that you started to strengthen your Mind?"

I swallowed the last bite and tried to assess the situation inside my Mind and realized that it was true. Before, I hadn't realized how on edge I always was. That's not to say that I'm no longer on edge but I don't feel like any small thing would set me off anymore. When I observed why, I realized that when I'd been 'clearing up the clutter' and storing it away it had effectively begun to heal my Mind of the abuse it had been subjected to. 

Although my body had been broken on numerous occasions, it had always healed somewhat but I hadn't healed my Mind of the abuse. That's what I had been doing; healing my mind as I meditated. 

I felt like crying because of how happy I was that I could actually start taking back control of my body's unstable reactions. Before, even the mere thought of being in the dark had triggered an onset of panic attacks. It still gave my chest a tight feeling at the thought but I no longer retreated within myself. 

"Thanks," I said to Lily with wholehearted sincerity. 

She smiled at me, "You're welcome, Nathaniel."

Lily has given me so much in the short time I've been here. My heart filled with warmth. 

Vincent:

Lily turned her attention towards me after having an emotional episode with Nathaniel. I wasn't sure what Nathaniel was thanking her for. Was it because she taught us the technique to strengthen our Minds? That didn't seem right though. I blankly stared back at Lily. 

"How do you feel Vincent?"

"Fine."

"I mean how does your Mind differ from previously. Can you sense the difference?"

"Yes. There's a subtle change in the thickness."

"Thickness," she questioned with a slight frown. 

"Previously my Mind felt like a thin film but afterwards it grew more substantial."

She seemed to try to grasp what I was talking about. It wasn't that difficult to understand though, right? I was stating the obvious. Inside of my mind, when I had first reached a meditative state, my Mind had felt weak and flimsy. As though it would collapse at the first blow but after absorbing the elements it seemed as though a brick wall had been built and surrounded it. 

To be more accurate, the Elements that had been absorbed stacked themselves together to form a sturdy barrier. So it was true that my Mind had been a thin membrane but advanced to a thick one for protection. 

Lily nodded her head thoughtfully. "That's a good way to describe it. I've had a similar experience but everyone's Mind is different. If you both would like to continue strengthening your mind later on feel free to visit here. Please make sure to avoid damaging any of the plants though."

Nathaniel solemnly spoke up, "Lily I'd never intentionally or unintentionally harm the plants that are connected to your Magic."

I also added, "No need to worry, Lily. I've seen how it had effected you when Helena asked for flowers so I will endeavor to avoid this type of action."

Nathaniel nodded his head with a hint of anger at the reminder of Helena's earlier actions. Lily looked a bit uncomfortable but still smiled at the both of us. 

"Let's go shopping for some clothes for you both. We don't have many children's clothing and especially not boys."

Nathaniel tried to protest but was silenced by Lily's glare. I held no opinions on whether she felt the need to buy me clothes or not. 

"Ugh, I hate shopping," Nathaniel grumbled as we followed Lily out of the Garden. I glanced at him but didn't understand his plight so continued walking behind Lily without responding.