Chapter 42

(A/N: This chapter will be a brief interlude of a flashback. I felt it would be appreciated since I've done much 'skipping' and the bonds that slowly built among some characters aren't as well defined as to my readers as it is for me. Hopefully this chapter isn't going to bore you all to much. I'll try to write a second chapter as well to make up for it for the readers who didn't want this type of chapter.)

~Helena is 4 years old~

Lily:

It still sent a thrill of happiness through me whenever I woke up to this magnificent world of magic and realized I was a mother. Not only that but I had magic. My main focus though was to my daughter; Helena. 

Richard, my ex-husband, had left me because of my infertility and medical complications in my past life. To be able to see that my body had created something so precious, even if it had technically been the original Lily, made my heart nearly burst with happiness and love. 

Speaking of Helena, I looked down into the sweet cherubic face of my sleeping daughter. She had come into my room sometime during the night to cuddle because the thunder had been to loud. One of the things about this new world were the extremely loud thunderstorms we got occasionally. It had frightened me the first time one had happened because of the noise. 

Had I not dug through old memories of the storms I'd have probably thought a tornado was about to touch down on our abode. 

Helena had a thumb loosely hanging near her slightly parted lips in her sleep. I tried to extract myself from her without waking her up but she started stirring once I shifted my arm out from beneath her head. So I waited for her eyes to flutter open. 

Her biological father's matching pink eyes stared back at me from her face. Fortunately, her eyes cleared of grogginess to be replaced with joy and love when they alighted on me as opposed to feral scorn and disgust the other eyes had shown. 

"Good morning, my little love. Did you sleep alright after mommy hugged the storm out of you?"

"Yesh mommy."

She had a slight lisp at trying to pronounce her words sometimes but she'd gotten better since she had first begun speaking. 

"What do you want to do today, my little love," I caressed her face and pushed her wayward strands of hair from her face.  

"Cwan we mwake dwonwuts?"

During her question she'd gotten excited and sat up, giving me her signature poppy dog look. I was a sucker for them every time and I was positive she knew she had me wrapped around her tiny little finger. 

"Hmm, let me think. I don't know," my voice trailed off as I pretended to stare off at an invisible schedule.

Helena threw herself into my stomach, knocking some of the wind out of me on a grunt when her head hit my stomach. Her arms wrapped around my waist and begun rubbing the top of her head into my belly. 

"Pweashe," she begged and looked up with watery eyes. 

"Ugh. Fine. I give! You win."

"Ish Dwaddy gwonna pway wiff ush?"

"I don't think so, sweetheart. I think he left early this morning," I responded and quickly picked her up into my arms and rubbed her back to stave off the oncoming hysterics I knew she was prone to do with regards to her 'daddy'. 

Damon had taken it upon himself to have Helena call him Daddy and since I didn't see a really big problem with it for the moment I let it slide. She was so close to him with her affections that I didn't want to burden such a small child with the knowledge that her biological father threw her mother aside. For another woman who held more status at that. Knowing full well that I had been pregnant and he had essentially signed my death sentence had I no one to turn to. 

"Let's get you dressed and go kick Amelia out of the kitchens, hmm?"

She nodded her head against my neck where she let herself relax into. I got her into a long sleeved shirt and warm fur coated trousers. Since Helena didn't have any magic she couldn't circulate her body temperature the way I could. Although the house wasn't freezing, due to the storm the interior had a bit of a chill. 

~~~~

Amelia had huffed and puffed but after we'd eaten the breakfast she had made for us allowed us to confiscate the use of her kitchen. For the next couple of hours Helena and I carefully kneaded dough and patiently waited until it rose before shaping it into various shapes. Helena seemed to like the donut holes but I'm positive it's because it's the inverse of the other and easier to make. 

After frying them up we took a plate full and sat on my balcony that held a light air barrier shield to block out the rain that was still drizzling but allowed us to view the Nest below. 

"Mommwy, these arwe wummy," she shouted excitedly with her mouth full. 

I smiled back at her exuberance before responding, "I'm glad you like them, sweetheart. I couldn't have made them without you since I had to put so much love into them."

My wink that I sent her way seemed to set her off into giggles. Days like these were the kind I cherished with all my heart. Thankful for the chance to have this happiness. 

(A/N: I found the writing of Helena speech super annoying so if you thought so as well and were going to comment about it, I beat you to it. Neh. It was required though because if she held articulate conversations with Lily it would just throw me off. I've gotten zero sleep in the past 36 hours or so. I may just pass out hopefully. Hope this was a 'refreshing' chapter.)