Chapter 40

A/N: Wow, I made it to Chapter 40 already in this book. It seems like I've not written that much and I have you Readers to thank for it. If you weren't so encouraging, vocally and silently, I would've never pushed on with writing this. I hope the story has kept you intrigued thus far.

Lily:

Sunrise crested and shone down, lighting the forest all around me. The light hit my closed eyes and bathing me in its warmth. Yesterday when that wave of magic had passed through me, I'd nearly given up on hunting for dinner and instead wanted to curl up and sleep. My body felt refreshed this morning and I debated on whether or not I should continue with the strengthening exercises or not. 

"Best to go and pick up Helena from Connie's. I wonder if they felt that strange magic as well."

I wasn't completely sure how far away the shockwave had traveled or if maybe I had been the only one to feel it. One thing I'd noticed was that the creatures within the forest around me had grown restless. 

Luckily I hadn't brought much with me and anything I had was secured within the space I'd made within my Stars. 

A/N: You guys remember the brief time I spoke about how she created a sort of 'Space Ring' inside of her Stars using her Magic right? Usually only Space Users are capable of this and she only stumbled across the fact when she was meditating. These Spaces aren't large though.

There was enough space for a few spare sets of clothes and dry rations in case of emergencies. I was capable of pulling water to myself so I didn't need to worry about becoming dehydrated. Actually, there wasn't a need for me to even drink liquid because the water element automatically circulated within my body and kept me hydrated. Only problem was the random bouts of feeling like my tongue was dry. 

Within the shallow cave I'd taken up residence in, I shrugged out of the clothing that had gotten dirty from last night and pulled on a deep red halter top and the flowing pants that matched it. I hardly wore pants usually but that didn't mean I didn't enjoy the more freeing feeling. Skirts were freeing as well but they also felt a bit 'confining' compared to pants. 

I let out a sigh as I smoothed the material after securing it with a black hemp rope with a few knots and a tassel at the end. Attached to one of the knots was a tiny glass blown phoenix with obsidian stoned eyes set in its face. Magic was inlaid inside of it so it seemed as though it fluttered within flames as I moved. Damon had bought it for one of my birthdays. 

Although it had been an entire night, the forest was still noisy from restless creatures. Along the way I fended off a few low level Magical Beasts. Until I stumbled into a clearing after fending off a dive bombing Wind Hawkey. Stupid thing kept plunging towards the top of my head and it had taken a while to kill the pestering creature. 

Unfortunately on the other side of the bushes I'd just escaped was something I hadn't been expecting. To be honest, I wasn't sure what it actually was. What was important though was that it was to strong for me to take on nor would I be able to escape. So I did what any logical person would do; I froze. 

Three long silvery green serpent heads shifted in my direction. When my eyes clashed with one of it's pairs it felt as though my muscles locked up. I sifted through my memory trying to remember or know what this creature was. 

It's body was that of a lion with a tail made out of flames. Wings that were a good 30 feet in length, as it had spread them fully out upon noticing me, took up the entire clearing and seemed to block out all the light. 

~Hairless creature, you've encroached upon my Forest. What is it you wish to gain? Speak!~

It was clearly not speaking English from the choppy hissing growls that vibrated across my skin but for some reason I understood it completely. 

"I was merely here to attain the element to strengthen my body like the men do."

One of the snake heads tilted slightly in an almost puppy-like manner. This was unnerving seeing as the other two kept their undivided attention on me. 

~You did not have Strength in the beginning?~

He seemed almost baffled and a little scornful. As if it were my fault that the women in our world were so weak. 

It was beginning to hurt to talk while in this semi paralyzed state so I didn't respond. One of the heads got closer and I felt its tongue flick out to scent me before it moved back. Something was pushed towards me by the dragging I could hear. With a bit more strength, I reopened my eyes and came face to face with the strange creature and a large green egg that was the size of a Human head. 

~You may be the handler of my child. My kind only wakes in times of need. I find you slightly accepting to become the handler.~

One of the heads opened its maw and hissed which confused me, until I was bit. Pain that felt excruciating swamped my body and I vaguely felt something or someone opening my mouth. My body began to heat up to something completely unhealthy. Something cool and smooth was pushed into my left hand but I still couldn't move. 

~Child, you aren't dying. I am giving you a gift. When you awake you'll be able to see your new Soul Companion. I will leave the naming up to you. Know this though, I will make sure you take care of the little one. I've given you something a bit extra that will come as a surprise later on.~

A voice seemed to echo within my head but I couldn't respond. Suddenly something cool slid into my mouth and down my throat, helping with the heat that had consumed me previously.