Piece of Cake 034

CHAPTER 34

A few days after that night, Althea decided to look for Jade. She had no idea how or where to find the other girl but she had fly to Japan because Jade had promised her to go to Tokyo Disneyland after their visit to Jeonju. She had waited for Jade in front of the entrance of theme park but Jade didn’t come. Despite of that, Althea didn’t gave up. She returned back on the next day and stood at the same spot early in the morning, hoping that Jade might remembered her promise. After one week later Althea gave up and returned to Korea.

Weeks had become months and there was still no news from Jade. No one knew where she was. Althea had tried to call her but it only reached the voicemail. She had called Jade’s family in LA but none of her call was answered.

Althea had returned back to the apartment she shared with Jade. Some of Jade’s stuff were no longer there. It made Althea felt miserable when she noticed the emptiness of the apartment without Jade with her. She had trouble in sleeping. She kept on dreaming about the other girl. It made her insane every time she woke up and found the other side of her bed was empty.

Althea had tried to move on with her life but she couldn’t. In whatever she did, she always reminded about Jade and her tears shed again. Althea thought she couldn’t live without Jade but it changed when she received a letter from the girl one day. The letter was short but it was enough to make the girl continued her life.

To my love Althea…

                I know you might be worried of me, but I am now in a safe place. I know I haven’t made myself clear to you. Again, I want to apologize for leaving you. As I said, this separation is not forever. Living without you by my side is hard but I could manage it somehow because I know you always be in my heart. I will become stronger and you will become stronger too. And I hope you are doing well.

Please take care of yourself while I’m away. And please remember that I will always love you...

From your love, Jade

The letter had no return address, meaning that Jade didn’t want to be contacted or founded. Althea felt sad but also glad knowing that Jade was safe. She decided to go on with her life as what Jade had asked her in the letter. She knew the girl would be back soon and she will wait for her no matter how long it take.

-x-x-x-

2 years later…

“Congratulation, Al!! This is the 4th branch in a year. I am so proud of you!!” Wila exclaimed as she hugged her best friend.

“Thanks, Wil. Without your support, I cannot make it up to this stage.”

“Nah, you made it yourself. Don’t be so down to earth, Al. You took the initiative to learn in France and get back here to Korea with your own recipe. It has nothing to do with me. So, please take the credit you deserve.”

“Alright, thank you. You also have helped me a lot in managing the other branch.”

“I only follow your order, boss.”

“Hey, I thought we are partners. We- are the boss.”

“Ok, partners.”

They both chuckled. Both women were in a ceremony for a new opening branch of ‘Sweet Love’ cake house in Los Angeles. Althea had opened the first branch in Seoul, the second branch in Busan, the third in Gangwon and a small branch in Jeonju.

“Hey, where is your wife Al?”

“Oh, she is around here somewhere with our new child.”

“What? You get another one?”