29.

I sat in my science class with my face leaning against my hand and my earphones plugged into my ears. I really was not in the mood to deal with anyone today. I hadn't spoken to Camila since our argument last night. I wasn't mad at her, I was just disappointed. I really didn't want to fight with the other girl.

I turned my head when I felt someone tap my arm. I looked at Ariana who sat in the desk next to mine. I took out my earphones and waited for her to speak.

"Are you okay?" She questioned.

"Uh-yeah." I lied and sent her a lopsided smile. I didn't want her to question me. She gave me a curious look, but nonetheless nodded. I looked at the clock and saw the bell was going to ring any second now. I packed up my things and grabbed my phone. I was suppose to be meeting up with Dinah after this.

"What do you have next?" Ariana asked as we exited the room.

"History," I answered, "You?"

"Spanish." She answered. "What are you doing today after school?" She casually asked.

"Eh I'm not sure." I admitted.

"Oh. Maybe we could hang out?"

"Uhh...I'm not sure if today will work." I answered, while rubbing the back of my neck.

It wasn't that I didn't want to hang out with her. I just didn't think it would be good idea to hang out with her alone after what happened at the beginning of summer, especially not now. "I actually have some work I need to catch up on." I added so she wouldn't question it.

Her smile faltered a bit, "Oh okay. Maybe another time. Bye Y/N." She waved.

I felt a little bad but shrugged it off. I exited the building and walked out to the football field where Dinah said she'd meet me.

"Y/N! Over here!" Dinah's loud voice rang from a distance. I looked towards the gray metal bleachers and saw the Polynesian waving her arm in the air. I made my way towards her and climbed all the way to the top. I dropped my bag and sat down next to her.

"What took you so long!" She exclaimed.

"Sorry, I was talking to Ariana."

"Oh. You still talk to her?"

I raised an eyebrow, "Yeah? Why wouldn't I?"

"No reason. She's nice, it's just that it's pretty obvious that she still likes you." She stated.

"Yeah, but she knows we're just friends."

"Mhm, you going to History today?" She asked.

I shook my head, "Nah, it's a shortened day anyways."

"Cool, I'm not going either." She smiled.

I nodded and looked up at the clouds. Dinah cleared her throat, "So...did you and Camila fight or something? You guys literally didn't interact at all today." I turned my head to look at the blonde girl. I sighed, "Yeah, well kind of." She looked at me, waiting for me to go on.

"Yesterday Austin came up to me again and said that instead of 'kicking my ass' I'd have to do what he says or he'd out Camila-"

"What!"

"Yeah and you already know that I would never listen to him. I told Camila and she freaked out saying she still wasn't ready to come out. And long story short, she basically said she wanted me to do what Austin says so he won't out her, but I said no and she got mad." I finished.

"Damn."

"What do you think I should do? I don't want to lose her over this." I frowned.

"Well in my opinion, Camila is wrong for expecting you to degrade yourself like that, but like, I can kind of see where she's coming from. Imagine if someone were threatening to out you when you aren't ready," She continued, "Avoiding each other won't help at all, I think you two should just talk things out."

I thought about what she said and tried seeing things from Camila's point of view. I guess Dinah was kind of right. I nodded my head.

"I'll talk to her after school. Thanks Dinah." I mumbled and pulled the girl into an embrace.

"I should be a therapist." She joked.

I chuckled lightly and released her from the hug. I pulled out my phone and texted Camila to come by my house. Dinah and I spent the remaining 30 minutes of the school day talking at the top of the bleachers.

——

I laid in my room throwing darts at the board on my wall while I waited on Camila to get here. My eyes averted from the dartboard to my bedroom door when it opened. I watched as Camila walked in and shut it behind her. I nervously sat up.

The Cuban took a seat next to me without saying anything. I finally met her gaze and saw she looked nervous too. We stared at each other in silence for a few moments until we both spoke up, "I'm sorry-" We both began at the same time. Camila furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

"No Y/N you don't have to be sorry about anything, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten mad at you or even considered having you do what Austin says. And you are right...I do care too much about what others think of me. It's just that...I'm scared. Forgive me?" She let out a shaky breath. I anxiously chewed on my bottom lip and nodded in response.

"Look Camila, you don't have to come out if you aren't ready. I understand. I'll just find another way to keep Austin shut-"

"No." She cut me off. "Yesterday I spent the whole night thinking about everything and I think it's time for me to. I love you, and I want to be with you. I don't want you to think that I don't. Plus Austin won't have anything to use against you or me." She spoke in a small voice.

I raised my eyebrows in surprise. I was not expecting this. "I love you too, but I don't want you to come out just because you feel pressured to-" I began but was cut off again.

"I want to." She assured me.

"Well...okay then. What now?" I asked, not being able to control the smile that was growing on my lips.

Camila ran a hand through her hair, "I honestly don't know. We can try going on a date, and I mean like a real one, not a secret one."

"Okay then. Tomorrow?" I suggested.

"Yeah." She smiled softly.

I reached for her hand and held it. She looked down at our hands then back at me. I sent her a small smile. She lifted her head slightly and pecked my lips. I wrapped an arm over her shoulder and pulled her closer. "I missed you today." She admitted making me laugh a bit.

"I missed you too."

I felt Camila smile against the crook of my neck. I released her and laid back against the headboard of my bed. We spent the rest of the night talking things over and planning out the date. We ended up deciding on simply going somewhere out to eat.

I glanced at the clock. It was already close to 10 o'clock. Camila stood up and slipped her shoes back on."I should go before my dad locks me out." She yawned. "I'll see you tomorrow." She pulled me into a warm hug, which I quickly reciprocated. I held her for a few seconds until she let go. I walked her down to the door and made sure to be quiet because my mom and Shawn's dad were already in bed.

"Goodnight Y/NN." She whispered.

"Goodnight." I smiled.

I stepped out and watched as the shorter girl ran next door. As soon as I saw she entered her house I went back in. I yawned and locked the doors. I quietly made my way up the stairs and went back into my room. I pulled off my pants and hopped into bed. I turned off my lights and stared at the ceiling. I smiled to myself, feeling a whole lot better about everything. Hopefully this date would go good.