Chapter 27

Chapter 27
Bridget's POV

After I slammed the door shut, I sat on the porch, letting my sobs be known to the world.

Part of me wishes she would open the door, attempt to run after me, plead for me, tell me she loves me, that all of this was a joke. That she wanted to be my mom from the second she saw me. Not her mom.

Was that all a scam too? her mom and dad hating me that first thanksgiving together? everything that I thought was special and perfect was all a big fat lie.

I compose myself and go to one of the cars in the driveway. Taylor is dumb enough to keep the keys in the car. I take her Toyota, peeling away from this god damned house. too many memories exist there.

Before my mind catches up with my body, I realize I'm standing in front of the Nashville State Penitentiary.

"Hi, can I uhm see Lori Scott?"

"Mam it's five in the morning." The fat officer points at the clock

"Is it possible you can wake her? I'll pay to see her." The thought didn't cross my mind. It just came out

"No, we know who you are, we can make it visiting time." he smirks at me "I'll have a guard wake her. You can have a seat over there" he gestures over to the line of chairs, glass and telephones.

I take a seat and wait for my mom to show. And when she does I take a moment to look at her. Her blonde hair has turned to brown, her once shiny blue eyes are to a dim grey and the orange jumpsuit is swamping her body.

"When they said I had a visiter I didn't believe them" she chuckles as she puts the cable phone to her face. "How are you?"

"You were right mom"

"No, don't say that" she knows exactly what I'm referring to. "Taylor wouldn't have."

"Yeah, but she did. She told me. All of this shit was for her image. She never loved me"

"Bridget, baby, I've had a lot of time to sit and think in here. It's the only thing you can do" she chuckles "I may not love the fact that someone took my daughter away from me. But I saw it in Taylor's eyes. She loves you. It may have been that at the beginning she didn't love you. But there's no humanly way to spend time with you and not fall in love."

"How do I believe it though. I can't just believe that she actually does love me"

"She's kept ya for this long hasn't she?" she chuckles. I had noticed that she's actually clean. Her eyes aren't bloodshot, she's not twitchy and she's actually holding a conversation with me. "I miss you Bridg."

"I miss you too mom" a small silence creeps between us, "I'm heading home to Michigan for a while, is there anything you want me to do for you?" I wasn't sure why I was asking this. But for some reason I wanted to help my mom.

"Buy your father some flowers for me." Her statement was blunt and hits me hard. "I was drunk, and on many drugs. I hadn't realized I did it until his blood was on my hands." I look away from her during the confession. Just the thought of my mom with my dad the last moments makes my heart ache. "I miss him dearly. Every part of me wants him back"

Yes it was a lot to take in, but being so vulnerable I was, I accepted her apology. It's been more than twelve years holding a grudge. I do miss my dad dearly, but I miss A mother figure in my life right now, and she's the most logical one to go to. "Are you going to call Taylor?"

I shook my head and she sighed "I think you should."

"Why should I just sit here and act like her faking her love for me hasn't affected me all these years."