Chapter 42

Audrey's POV

I run back to my car and wait for Mason to get out of class. I'm in every way pissed off at Carter, I thought he of everyone would understand, because I'm doing this for him. I'm fighting for him.

Every part of me wants to scream and yell and defy everything anyone has told me. But I know that won't get me far; maybe I'm finally learning my lesson my father has tried so hard to teach me.

The door opens next to me and Mason drops in the seat looking at me, "dad cancelled practice today"

"Is it because he's not home?"

"He told me mom was the one that left. She's at Bridget's." Fuck, now I'm stuck with my brother and dad for the next couple days. I would rather be in jail. "Do you think they'll work this out?" worry is laced in his voice for the tenth time today

"Like I said Mason, it's going to be okay." I put the car in reverse and head back home.

"I know, but you said that years ago and dad hit Jackson and even mom" I'm shocked at how he remembers that. I mean he wasn't too young, but I would have blocked it from my memory if I were him.

"Things are different now, okay?"

When I pull in, moms car is gone and the front door is open. Our dad is sitting on the couch with beer bottles circling around him. "It's about time you two get home. Audrey, go to your room."

I drop my keys on the counter and set my backpack down "is there a reason I'm being summoned to my room?"

"Because I said so"

"No." I cross my arms in front of him and he stumbles to get up. Mason quickly goes to the kitchen with backpack in hand.

"Go to your room now."

"I did nothing wrong."

He runs his hands through his hair and starts to get angry, "don't you dare talk back to me. I am your father and you are going to listen to me."

"I don't want to go to my room"

"Stop being a stubborn fuck and go to your god damn room!" he screams

Before I can protest, my body takes me to my room and I slump on my bed. Moments past before the doorbell rings and I remember that I told that kid to come over. Seeing the state my dad is in, I know this isn't going to turn out nice if he answers the door.

I sprint down the stairs and I see my dad stumbling towards the door with a vodka bottle in hand. "Audrey, you're not allowed to answer that door!"

Ignoring his statement, I make it to the door before him and open it up. "Hey audre--"

"You have to go. Like now"

"Who is that!?" My dad's voice gets closer

"Go, please just go"

"Audrey are you okay?" Chris takes a step into the house and my dad stops in his tracks.

"Another fucking boy Audrey!? I always knew you were a slut." His words pain me and Chris takes another step in.

"Please. I beg of you just leave."

"She doesn't deserve to be treated like that" this time he's completely in the house and my dad has taken another swig of his drink.

"My daughter is grounded, I advise you not to take another step further."

"Yeah, and if I do?" He puts his helmet on the table next to us and approaches my dad