Zatanna x Reader - Musical Series

Song: Helpless (Hamilton)

My school was having a dance this week, and I didn't have a date. Of course, I knew it wasn't a requirement, but it would have been nice to go with someone.

It didn't take me long to ditch the idea of a date and decide to go alone. At least I'd have some friends there to hang out with. As far as I knew, my best friend Dick would be going to the dance.

On the day of the dance, I dolled myself up a bit. I stood in front of the mirror and gave myself one last look. Damn, did I look good. I ran down the stairs and informed my parents that I was ready. They drove me to school as it was getting dark. When I arrived, it hopped out, said my goodbyes, and waved as my parents wished me a good time and drove off.

The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the loud music. I searched the room for Dick and found him in the back with Wally. I headed towards them and called out.

"Hey, (Y/n)," Dick said. "You look great."

"Yeah, no kidding," Wally commented. He looked me over, though I wasn't a stranger to his flirting, so I ignored him.

"Thanks." Just then, the song changed, and Wally got excited. He asked us to join him on the dance floor, but we both declined.

"Your loss," he shouted over the music. Dick and I sat in silence and just watched people have fun. That was when I noticed a girl dancing by herself, and I felt my breath catch. She looked amazing, and boy did she know how to move.

I tapped Dick's shoulder and nodded in the girl's direction. "Do you know who that is?" I asked him.

"Her? That's Zatanna. She's in my math class. Why?"

"No reason," I muttered. I should have known he wouldn't buy it. Dick smirked, and I knew I was in for it. Without a word. He got up and strided towards Zatanna. I watched as he seemingly made small talk with her. My eyes widened. It almost looked like he was flirting with her. But that couldn't be it. He was up to something, I just knew it.

I looked away and started fiddling with the tablecloth. I hadn't noticed when someone came over to me a moment later. They cleared their throat, nearly making me jump. Standing before me was Zatanna herself. My stomach got that fluttery feeling.

"Hi," she greeted me with a smile. "You're (Y/n), right?" I couldn't do anything but nod. "Would you like to dance?" Zatanna wanted to dance with me? This felt like a dream come true.

"Sure," I managed to say.

"Great!" She pulled me by the hand and dragged me off to the dance floor. We started dancing, though I was a bit hesitant at first. Song after song, we danced, talked, and laughed. I was really enjoying myself.

We took a break and went back to my table. To my surprise, Dick was still missing. When glanced back, I thought I saw him dancing with Wally. I shrugged and took a seat. Zatanna and I resumed talking for a while. I found it easy to talk to her, and if learned quite a bit about her.

From what she'd told me, she was very into magic. That immediately piqued my interest. She even demonstrated a few tricks for me.

Time slipped by, and soon enough, the last dance was announced. It was a slow dance, not surprisingly. Zatanna stood and offered her hand. I looked at her in confusion, but took her hand. She pulled me into the crowd and began dancing. We swayed to the slow music playing. Over her shoulder, I saw Dick wink at me. He was in fact, as I'd thought earlier, dancing with Wally. I mouthed 'thank you' to him, knowing this had to be his doing.

Once the dance was over, I walked outside with Zatanna. Her dad was already waiting outside for her.

"I guess this is good night," I said. She nodded.

"Yeah. I had a great time. Thanks." She leaned forward and kissed me on the cheek. I could tell I must be blushing. We said goodbue and she left left with her dad. Not too long after, my parents showed up. When I got in the car, they asked me how it went.

"Did you have fun?" My mom questioned.

"Yeah. I kinda ended up dancing with someone anyways," I explained. She wanted to know everything, so I didn't leave out any details. Later, I'd definitely have to text Dick and give him more of a thank you.

Uh, so I wrote a Wally musical series imagine along with this, but not all of it saved, so I need to type it up again, unfortunately.