Chapter Nine - [Seetha]

I sat next to my eldest brother Shiyam as he patted Maadu's belly. She had been acting strange all week and I was beginning to worry, so I asked my brother to take a look for me. It helped me take my mind off of Aaryan and the fact that after tonight, I may never see him ever again.

"Well," My brother started, getting up. "Your Maadu has gotten herself pregnant."

My eyes widened. "Pregnant?" I practically shouted. I looked at Maadu. "Is this what you have been doing while I've been away?" No wonder she was acting strange.

My brother chuckled. "Well it's good news for us. Another cow would be helpful around here. But let me just say that she's your cow, so her and her babies are your responsibility."

I frowned but sighed.

He messed up my hair before beginning to walk away. "Go to sleep, little sister, it's getting late. Your cow is fine."

I laughed, smiling as him as he left me alone.

When he was gone I got down on the floor next to Maadu. I rubbed her belly and smiled, wondering which bull I was going to have to kill tomorrow.

"Well, at least you're not hurt," I said softly.

Cows could love. I had know that ever since I was first given Maadu eight years ago. So I wondered if she maybe loved whichever bull had gotten her pregnant. I started laughing to myself, feeling stupid, and then my laughing turned into tears.

I felt crazy.

I sat next to my cow, crying, finally admitting to myself that I had stupidly fallen in love with a man in three days. A man who I barely knew... and a man who I couldn't be with.

This was the first time I had fallen in love and it was over before it even started. And now he was leaving.

For good.

Maadu lifted her head up before dropping it down on my lap, she mooed and then closed her eyes.

And for some reason, the warmth of my friend made me cry more.

After what felt like too long, I wiped away my tears, trying to stop being such a pathetic fool.

It was over.

This very short chapter was over.

And maybe, tomorrow morning, I would tell my mother that I was ready. Ready to marry whoever it was that the elders chose for me. I needed to come down from this imaginary world I lived in... I needed to drop back down into reality.

If it worked for everyone else, then why wouldn't it work for me?

I was not any more special than any of my sisters.

And look where I had managed to get myself after thinking that I was. Alone, crying and contemplating whether or not my cow had fallen in love with the bull that got her pregnant.

I let out a shaky breath.

I wouldn't ever see Aaryan again...

And that was a good thing.