Chapter Ten - [Aaryan]

The sun had began to set which, meant that it was time for us to leave. I had this uncomfortable feeling in my chest the entire evening and I could not shake it. I tried to pretend that it was not a problem at all but that did not help either. So I simply accepted it as I pulled on my riding gloves and walked to my horse.

The nights in Chandraba were rather chilly, though the days were often very hot. But for this reason, I was wearing a full-sleeved blue kurta with a long, thick scarf over my neck. It kept me perfectly warm, and it helped as I chose not to wear my chainmail and my warrior gear. It was going to be a long trip and I prefered to be comfortable rather than safe.

Though... having my sword on me was enough. I was a superb fighter and knew I had nothing to fear, even in my sleep, so long as I had my sword nearby.

As I approached my now decorated horse, a woman suddenly caught my eye.

She was walking in through the gates, where men were beginning to line up to see us out. She was old, with a head full of silver hair and a hunch as she slowly walked into the fort. She was holding an extremely large pot, which made her struggle more and I was surprised by the fact that no one offered to help her.

Though, most men, at the very least, nodded their head at her in respect, while others jeered.

At first, I too was going to ignore her. I put my hands on my horse, getting ready to get on, but then I saw her put down the large pot and struggle a little bit.

I sighed.

I stepped away from my horse and walked over to the woman. Without saying a word, I bowed my head before taking the pot from her. It was filled with some sort of porridge, how she managed to carry it all the way over here, I had no idea.

"Thank you, son," she said.

"Where are you taking this?"

"To the kitchen please."

I nodded, beginning to walk in the direction of the kitchen.

The woman smiled me. It was a toothless smile but a warm one. "I know you," she said to me.

"Do you?" I asked. People outside the Fort generally didn't know me... as seen with Seetha

"Yes," she said. "I have seen you listening to Seetha's stories. And I have seen you riding away with her."

At the mention of her name, there was a squeezing pain in my heart. It was an unforgiving pain, because it was something I could not control.

"Are you leaving now?"

"I am," I responded.

"The life of a warrior," she said before sighing. "I know it all too well."

"Do you have sons?"

"Yes... but my husband was the warrior. Not my sons," she smiled to herself, as if remembering something that made her happy. "Every time he left... that was the hardest part."

"He has passed?"

"Very many years ago," now her smile turned sad.

"He was a noble man," I said. "To fight and die for his country. All to protect the people he loves, of course." This was often what I said to the families of dead warriors that I had to see. I was all too used to it.

"He was," she said. "He loved us dearly."

I nodded.

"Did you say goodbye to Seetha?" She asked. "Now I understand why she was so sad today."