Chapter Two - [Aaryan]

When Seetha began her way up the steps, I should have been worried. No one was allowed to climb the steps without the instructions of the Maharaja or Maharani. Of course, I was not too worried. I was actually pleased.

She would sit by me on the throne. Why should she be unwelcome from standing at the same level as my mother, father and brothers?

When the guards stepped forward in surprise, I held my hand up. They returned to their posts almost immediately.

Seetha got onto her knees when she reached the top, bowing low, and I presumed that it was my fathers surprise behind her approach that caused him to hesitate.

"Rise, child," he said.

When Seetha rose, the relief on her face seemed to show her nervousness.

My father rose too, putting his hands on her shoulders. "Welcome to our home. Your home," he said, kindly.

I stepped forward. "Mother, father, I would like to formally introduce Seetha of Nandioor to you," I said, stepping by her side.

My father kept his eyes on her. "My son has told me quite a lot. I am thrilled to finally meet the girl who stole my son's heart," he said before looking at me. "I must admit, she is exactly what I expected."

This surprised me, and Seetha too, as her eyes widened.

My father chuckled. "I know my son well," he clarified. "I saw he was never impressed with simple girls. I see wisdom and intricacy in your eyes. You are not a simple girl, are you."

Seetha smiled now, looking suddenly more comfortable. "I suppose I am not," she said. "Aaryan has told me many times."

Though my father laughed, I did not miss the horror on my mother's face.

How dare she refer to him as Aaryan, I assumed she was thinking.

"He tells me you tell wonderful stories," my father continued. "I hope to hear some when we have some time together."

Seetha bowed her head. "Of course."

"My brothers," I said, gesturing to the two boys in my father's side, and the two on my mother's. "You know Aaruraavanan," I started on my mother's side. Aarun smiles at her, though it was not exactly a warm or welcoming smile. "Beside him is Aksharaavanan. At seventeen he is the fourth child of my mother and father." The often silent Akshay did not smile. He simply lowered his head in respect, and maintained the usual bored expression he wore.

When I turned to my father's side, I gestured at the more welcoming looking Aayu. "Aayuraavanan, he is your age, the third child of my parents."

Seetha seemed to feel his welcoming nature. I saw her relax as she smiled at the boy, who smiled back. "It is a pleasure," he said. "I hope we will be good friends."

"Me as well," Seetha smiled.

"Finally, Anburaavanan, the youngest and most foolish," I said.

Anbu's excited grin faded almost instantly at my words. "I am not!" He argued.

Seetha chuckled before bowing her head. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Anbu."

Again, my mother looked horrified with how she referred to him.

"My wife has gifted me with a wealth of wonderful boys," my father said. "Though I am thrilled to finally be close to having a daughter."

"My father wishes at least one of us was born a girl," Aayu said. "Though Anbu is the closest thing he has to one."