Chapter Twenty Two - [Seetha]

Hey everyone!

Sorry for the late update! I was out of the country and couldn't update in time! 

As always, I really hope you enjoy this update! Please let me know what you think in the comments and don't forget to vote!

Love,
Luckycharms

---

Everything continued on as usual for the next few weeks. Aaryan's mother did not try to speak to me again, probably because she knew I would no longer be coming alone... or at least, not just with Saumiya. I was a little relieved at that. Though I wanted his mother to like me, that did not stop me from being scared of her. I would rather Aaryan be here with me whenever I had to deal with her.

Not in a completely different nation.

Anyways, the Maharajah was not in a pleasant mood for the past little while. Rumors began to spread that Aarun was sent home by Aaryan because he was 'worthless,' or so they said. I knew Aarun was home... I had seen him when I saw his mother, but I did not hear about the rumour until a little later.

The King was unhappy with Aarun and embarrassed by the rumors, but he was also unhappy to see his sons acting like this towards one another. I suppose it made sense. If my brothers treated each other the way Aaryan and Aarun treated one another, my father would have put them in their places.

My father tolerates nothing but cooperation from brothers.

Fighting was okay, so long as there was love behind it all.

Aaryan and Aarun had no love for one another. Anyone could tell that.

When I asked Aaryan about the rumor in a letter to him, he responded by confirming it. He said there was no place for fools in his army and his brother did not deserve to get any special treatment. He also added that he did not care what the people in the palace thought of his brother, though he did care about what foreigners thought, since the image his brother had would reflect on his family.

I chose not to share this with anyone... I didn't want to add to the Maharajah's troubles.

When the week had come to an end, I let out a sigh of relief as Lady Suhanya prepared the bath for me. Diwali was in two days, and it was my wish to let my maid friends go home to their families for the special day. I figured I could handle myself, but in the end, Lady Suhanya was the one who took on many of their roles. I tried to tell her I didn't need her help, but she wouldn't listen.

I felt a little bad, feeling like I was overworking her, but she did not seem to mind.

"Don't you want to go back to see your own family?" I asked. "Wouldn't Diwali be the perfect time for that?"

"My family is here," she said, touching the water to make sure it was warm enough.

I knew she didn't actually have family here, so I assume she meant the people here who she made her family.

"I have always spent Diwali at the palace," she continued. "It's a spectacular event. The best time of year here."

I was excited. I had heard about the palace Diwali celebrations even back in Nandioor. Of course, I wished my family could be here to see it with me... and Aaryan too. "What would you do here for Diwali as a child?" Back in Nandioor, Diwali was most fun for children. There would be games and dancing and singing and of course, the night would be filled with light. For once, children were not forced to sleep. Instead they could come out and play in the streets that were now filled with light.