Chapter 14

Flashback (Yoona's POV)

Finaalllyyy!!

(A/n: Kookie has ruined this word for me. Can't think of this word without his voice popping up in my head.)

I was leaving for one last hike before my break ends and college begins. I was on a solo trip, hiking my way around Jeju.

"Today I will conquer Mt. Hallasan!" I exclaimed while throwing my fist in the air. You would think that I was conquering Mt. Everest.

After months of begging, I had finally convinced my parents to let me go on a solo trip, albeit I have a strong suspicion that they are continuously tracking my movements. I just haven't managed to find the GPS tracking chip yet.

I started my hike quite early in the morning as I wanted to have enough time to enjoy the way up and also reach the peak to witness the sunset and then make my way down before it got too dark.

I was on the Gwaneumsa trail and it was more than I had ever expected. The views of deep valleys and caves took my breath away. It was so tempting to just stay there and forget about rest of the trail. I just wanted to lie down on the ground and stare at the clouds passing by. There was something about being with nature that was so calming.

But I had to continue if I wanted to make it in time for the sunset. I continued my hike up to the peak. The ascent was quite steep and I knew that tomorrow I would be sore and discovering muscles I didn't know existed. 

Cursing myself for not being more fit and promising to swear off junk, I finally reached the peak and to say I was in for a shock was an understatement. Finding words to describe what I witnessed is impossible. Words would do it no justice. Who knew a sunset would make me so happy and content.

As it started getting dark, I decided to start my descent as it would get harder as it gets darker. I thought the ascent was a pain but it's almost like descent was trying to prove that it was in fact just as much as a pain, if not more. My knees were crying out in pain. Chocolates were the next item to be sworn off. I decided to rest just a bit to make sure my knees survived.

"Oohhhh Fuuuuuu----!!"

That scream startled me as I heard what sounded like someone stumbling and landing into the bushes near me.

"Heellooo? Are you okay?," I asked without moving, my hand gripping my pepper spray ready to attack. What if it was some pyscho pretending to be hurt, baiting me to come closer and then he would attack me!

"Arrrgghhh!" That startled me, shaking off my overactive imagination, I quickly went towards the sound and found someone lying in the bushes with his foot trapped between two rocks.

I quickly went over to help him muttering, "If you end up killing me, I swear I will haunt you for the rest of your life!"

That person seemed really confused and I didn't blame him.

"I'll try moving the rocks, stay still." I tried to move the rocks to give him enough space to wiggle his foot out. Finally, after a good five minutes, I was able to move the rock enough so he could get his foot out.

"Thank you! I didn't see a rock and I tripped over it. I am generally not clumsy," he seemed to be defending himself but I wasn't judging him in the first place.

"Yeah, it happens. Be careful," I said as I was leaving him.

"Umm, excuse me, I hate to impose but when I fell I broke my flashlight, is it okay if I could share your flashlight? I am really sorry," he scratched the back of his ear while asking me.

"Oh..okay... Sure. Just remember, I'll haunt you," I warned him trying to give him my most menacing look as I started to lead the way.

"Haunt me? What are yo- AAAAAA!"

I immediately turned to find him on the ground clutching his ankle. I ran to him, "Are you okay? Is it your ankle?" I quickly took his ankle in my hands and removed his shoe. It had swelled up a little. "I think you twisted it when you fell."

"Crap! How will I get back down? I'll just have to limp."

"You do know that that's not possible, right? You'll just fall and get hurt even more. I would have offered to support you but I am pretty sure I'll fall and bring you down with me and end up making things worse, instead of helping," I said thinking of options.

"I guess we'll just have to wait till someone passes us by and we could ask for their help," I said as I sat down next to him.

"Hey, you don't have to wait with me. Please carry on. It's getting dark and it won't be safe if you stay here any longer. Thanks for helping me though!"

"I am not going to leave you alone here. What if a wild animal tries to attack you?"

"Err, I don't think there are wild animals around, so I'll be fine," he tried to reassure me.

"They are called wild animals for a reason," I said shaking my head at his illogical argument.

"Fine. Suit yourself. Don't blame me later for keeping you here," he sighed in defeat.

"I won't. I am Min Yoona," I extended my hand towards him.

"Kim Seokjin, nice to meet you!"

-------

A/N: I have taken a LOT of liberties while describing the hike. I haven't been to Jeju so I know absolutely nothing about the place or its trails. So I am sure that there are factual errors, please ignore them. 

Thanks :P