37 | icy snowstorms

"hey, jinyoungie!"

jinyoung crossed the football field over to where jaebum was warming up. jaebum waved and shot him a grin, and jinyoung smiled back. it was the happiest he'd seen the infamous im jaebum in a long time.

actually, he didn't think jaebum had ever looked this happy.

"you okay?" jaebum asked as jinyoung reached him.

jinyoung folded his arms across his chest and pouted. "no, it's cold," he complained. the tips of his nose and ears were tinged a soft pink.

jaebum jogged over to the bleachers in response and returned with his football varsity jacket, draping it around jinyoung's shoulders.

"hey, thanks for coming anyway," said jaebum, shifting from foot to foot to keep warm. "i need you to yell at me to keep going."

"oh, i'll yell at you alright," jinyoung smirked. he poked jaebum's chest and added, "i've got a few bones to pick with you, im jaebum."

jaebum let out a laugh, his breath going misty in the cold air. it was already freezing for the start of december. he ran out into the middle of the pitch and continued to warm up whilst jinyoung stamped his feet on the grass to keep warm. 

"run faster, fatass!" jinyoung yelled hoarsely, followed by a rough giggle, as jaebum started doing a few laps of the pitch. 

jaebum came round to where jinyoung was standing, hands stuffed in the pockets of jaebum's varsity jacket. he pretended to be well out of breath, leaning on jinyoung's shoulder for support. 

"i... can't... go on..." he said, showing only the hint of a teasing smile. 

"you can't stop now, asshat," jinyoung argued. "go on!"

"there's only... one thing..." said jaebum, tilting his head and meeting jinyoung's eyes, "...that can give me my energy back..."

"yeah, well what-?"

jinyoung's words were cut short by a pair of warm, chapped lips meeting his cold ones. jinyoung blinked in shock as jaebum smiled into the kiss. 

"keep running, idiot," jinyoung mumbled, pushing him away. he tried his best to hide the pleased grin that spread across his lips. 

jinyoung caught movement in the corner of his eye as he pulled away from jaebum. at the entrance to the field, near the changing room doors, stood a broad-shouldered, brooding boy, whose dark eyes were overcast. 

"is that-" jaebum began. 

"run faster!" jinyoung yapped at him, shoving him back into a run. 

choi seungcheol. 

jinyoung glanced over to where he stood watching, in full football kit. seungcheol eventually kicked the grass and turned away, heading back inside. 

"hey, jinyoung," said jaebum tentatively the next time he completed a lap of the field, stopping next to jinyoung to catch his breath. 

"yeah?"

"i was wondering..." jaebum trailed off. he rubbed the nape of his neck and took a breath. "do you think it would be okay for me to meet up with youngjae?"

jinyoung stared at him. "youngjae? choi youngjae? he's a fucking mess, jaebum, i-"

"not for long," jaebum interrupted. "i just want to apologise properly, in person."

jinyoung bit his lip. "well... i suppose i can ask him..."

"thanks, jinyoungie," said jaebum with another smile. he tucked his hand in the same pocket as jinyoung, weaving their fingers together. "now... cinema?"