42 | preparing presents

"it was sweet of that friend of yours to help us decorate last weekend, jinyoung," mrs. park mentioned the following day.

jinyoung paused. "...jaebum?"

"ah, that's his name," said mrs. park. "is he doing anything nice for christmas?"

jinyoung shrugged and shook his head. "probably not," he told his mom in honesty, "he's spending it alone, i think."

mrs. park stared at him in disbelief. "alone? nonsense! you'll have to invite him to stay with us."

jinyoung blinked at her. "stay with us?" he repeated.

"yes, stay with us over christmas, you dummy," said mrs. park, pinching his cheek. "ask him, won't you?"

"...uh, of course!" said jinyoung, still a little lost for words.

"are you going out today?"

"yeah, shopping with mark."

"wrap up warm, and don't forget to get me the scented candles i saw you looking at online."

jinyoung groaned. "that was supposed to be a surprise, mom!" he complained.

his mom just laughed at him. "hurry and meet mark then, or you'll be late!" she said.

jinyoung bumped into mark on his way over, and they walked into the town centre together to do their christmas shopping.

"are you alright?" mark waved a hand in front of jinyoung's face as they reached the shopping mall. "you look kinda dazed."

"my mom just said jaebum can stay over for christmas..." jinyoung murmured, still a little zoned out.

mark stopped and his jaw dropped. "im jaebum is staying at your house for christmas?!" he squeaked.

jinyoung nodded, still gaping himself. then he snapped out of it. "i mean, if he wants to," he added. "he's invited."

"fuck, jinyoung, your parents are the best," said mark in awe.

"you've been living in jackson's bed for the last two weeks," jinyoung reminded him.

mark considered this. "fair."

they started their search for christmas gifts, but so far having no luck. they ended up in a clothing store, searching through aisles and aisles of scratchy christmas jumpers.

"so... do your parents realise you and jaebum are probably gunna fuck?"

"mark, shut up!" jinyoung hissed, clamping his hands over his best friend's mouth.

mark just laughed beneath the restraints. "i'm just saying," he reasoned once jinyoung let him go.

"my mom thinks we're friends," jinyoung told him, but there was an air of uncertainty in his voice.

"just friends?" mark questioned, "but are you really?"

jinyoung struggled to answer. "well, we're- he's my-" he sighed, and stormed off into the next aisle, "i don't know, okay!"

mark rolled his eyes at him and followed his friend around the store. "you must be something," he said. "lovers."

"i wish it wasn't so complicated," jinyoung muttered.

"i know," mark sighed. "with me and jackson, it was just wanna fuck? okay and now we're boyfriends."

"great," jinyoung drawled. then his expression changed into a soft pout. "hey, what do you think jaebum wants for christmas?"

mark was looking intently at a pair of 3D dragon slippers. "i dunno," he said, "give him your copy of romeo and juliet, fully annotated. i'm sure he'll love that."

"ha," said jinyoung without cracking a smile. "seriously though, i want to get him something special."

"why? he fucked one of our friends over big time."

"will you ever shut up about that?"

"it is a major factor in your relationship-"

"i know, and i'm trying to see past that, thanks," said jinyoung with a sigh. "maybe that's why it's so complicated."

"how about you give him your dick for christmas-?"

"MARK."

"joking, joking," mark assured him. "oh, how did your epic christmas wonderland date go?"

"it wasn't a-"

"yes it was."

"okay, fine," said jinyoung, pursing his lips, "maybe it was a date. it was good, thanks. how was yours."

"you don't have to sound so dead inside if you had a great time, jinyoung," mark grumbled. "mine was awesome, actually. jackson won me eight plushies and then he got his hand stuck in the token dispenser."

"sounds like jackson, to be honest," jinyoung remarked. "you seeing him over christmas?"

mark nodded and smiled. "i'm spending christmas with my dad, but i'm going to jackson's after," he explained.

they strayed away from the clothing store and headed into the toy store instead. mark picked up an enormous pokemon puzzle set and mused over it.

"i think i'll get this for jackson," he said.

"mark, that's 1000 pieces and jackson has the attention span of a newt."

"go away, we can enjoy pokemon together," mark pouted.

"still don't know what to get for jaebum," jinyoung reminded him.

"new phone?" mark joked. "seriously though, how can you lose a phone?"

"i know," jinyoung sighed. "now i have to go to his house just to tell him what my mom said."

"go back to ancient korea when you have to cross the country with a fucking sword just to say hi."

"pretty sure your history is inaccurate."

"shut up, nerd."

"you're a nerd too."

"oh!" mark suddenly exclaimed. "my dad has to go to the city for new year's to finalise the divorce papers, which sucks, but he said i can have a new year's party at our place! you coming?"

"sure, i guess," jinyoung shrugged and grinned. "sounds good!"

later that day, jinyoung still hadn't decided what to get jaebum for christmas, and instead went over to his house (since they couldn't text, which was already getting on jinyoung's nerves).

"merry christmas!" he said anxiously as jaebum opened the door.

"jinyoungie!" jaebum exclaimed, grinning widely at the sight of him. "what are you doing here?"

"well, um, my mom kinda... invited you to stay with us for christmas...?"

jaebum's whole face lit up and he enveloped jinyoung in a hug. "i would love that, jinyoung," he whispered in his ear with the happiest smile, "so much."

___________________

a/n:
good morning!
i'm still on my own
winter break so you
can expect a few more
updates this week! ♡