41 | butterflies in winter

me:
so 5pm right?

me:
yeah you said 5..

me:
should i dress warmly?
are we going outside?

me:
do i need cash?

me:
ah i'll just get ready

me:
jaebum?

____________________

jinyoung was waiting anxiously when jaebum pulled up outside the house. he hadn't received a reply from jaebum, which was odd, so he'd opted for relatively warm clothes. as the doorbell rang, jinyoung through on a scarf and headed out.

"ah, good, you look warm," said jaebum, greeting him with a smile.

"well, i didn't exactly know what to wear since you didn't text me back," jinyoung huffed.

jaebum tagged after jinyoung down towards the car, trying to figure out whether he was upset or not.

"that wasn't my fault," jaebum objected as jinyoung got in the car. "i lost my phone."

they shut the doors and jaebum started the engine again. the radio burst into life, blasting out a jazz rendition of rudolph the red nose reindeer. jaebum turned it down until it became background nose.

"you lost your phone?" jinyoung repeated.

jaebum nodded and they started to drive. "i couldn't find it after the game today. sorry, jinyoungie."

jinyoung sighed a little. "it's okay," he said. "i just thought you were being annoying and mysterious because it's a surprise."

jaebum laughed at that. "i suck at being mysterious," he said, "but this is a pretty good surprise, just saying."

jinyoung began to smile, and turned up the christmassy tunes a little louder. "you sure i'm dressed warmly enough? are we going outside?"

"it's a surprise, babe," said jaebum, his voice filled with uncharacteristic sass. then he smirked, "but if it makes you feel better, you also look hot."

jinyoung rolled his eyes. "this had better be a nice surprise, babe," he shot back, "or we're getting a divorce."

"stop borrowing comebacks from mark."

"i did not!"

"you did too! i heard him say it the other day!"

"...fuck you."

they were laughing and joking for the rest of the car journey, but when they began to approach the surprise destination, jinyoung fell silent.

then he screamed.

"we're doing this today?! oh my god, i literally love you!"

jaebum smiled proudly, glancing over at jinyoung who was bouncing in his seat like a child at christmas. which was an accurate analogy, jaebum noted.

"you said you wanted to go to the funfair," jaebum shrugged, trying his best to act casual, "what better day than the last day of school?"