epilogue #1 | jjproject

it was mid spring and park jinyoung was awoken from a 4am slumber. squinting through blurry eyes, he located the source of the noise - the window. 

a certain dark-haired boyfriend was waiting outside, throwing chinks of gravel up at the glass. when jinyoung appeared between the curtains, jaebum waved. 

"what is it?" jinyoung mumbled, drawing the window open. 

"come down, i have a surprise," jaebum smiled, speaking softly. 

jinyoung huffed, still pretending to be annoyed, but went to grab his things. he'd drop sleep for an hour with his boyfriend any day. jinyoung pulled a pale pink sweater over his head and changed his pyjama pants for jeans, finally stuffing his feet in his sneakers. he shoved his phone in his back pocket and began to climb out his bedroom window. 

"careful," jaebum whispered from below as jinyoung descended the drainpipe. 

his feet hit the floor and within moments he was in jaebum's arms, his warm lips against the cold touch of jaebum's. their eyes met, hands connected, and then they were stifling giggles and sprinting towards jaebum's car. 

"okay, where are we going at four o'clock?" jinyoung asked. the car gave a low growl as they pulled away from the house. 

"i told you, it's a surprise," jaebum insisted. 

jinyoung shot him a sideways glare whilst he fiddled with the heating. "can't you give me a tiny hint?" he whined. 

"no," said jaebum, hiding his smirk, "stop being impatient, and wait and see."

"bitch," jinyoung muttered at him. 

jaebum just laughed and turned the music up as they drove. 

jinyoung peered out the passenger window at the shadowy scenery that blurred past them. really, he didn't care where they were going, or that jaebum refused to tell him. he was just glad that they were together, no matter what happened. 

"i don't know what you think you'll see out there," jaebum remarked, "it's dark outside, stupid."

jinyoung gave his arm a light slap. "aren't we nearly there yet?" he asked. 

"nearly," jaebum nodded. he intertwined his fingers with jinyoung's, holding the wheel steady with the other hand. jinyoung sighed quietly in contentment, curling his fingers around the familiar touch. 

the sky grew gradually lighter as time wore on closer to dawn. after the peaceful drive, jaebum pulled up and stopped the engine. jinyoung quickly unbelted and stepped outside, his foot landing on soft sand. 

"are we at the beach?!" he squeaked in excitement. 

jaebum grinned at him. "do you like the beach?" he countered, busy getting a few items from the trunk of the car. 

jinyoung just squealed and ran onto the beach. a gentle breeze rustled the lapping waves; the tide was far out. the dim glow of the rising sun lined the horizon. 

jaebum watched as his boyfriend hopped and skipped over the sand, and he found a smile spreading across his lips. he tucked a basket under his arm and locked up the car. 

"i love the beach," jinyoung gushed, his cheeks pink and flushed as jaebum reached him. 

"well, i have another surprise," jaebum said with a giggle, grabbing jinyoung's hand a leading him over to a nice patch on the beach. he put the basket down and pulled out a blanket, which he spread over the sand. 

"you brought a picnic?" jinyoung asked incredulously. he plopped down onto the blanket and jaebum followed, placing the picnic basket just in front of them. 

"it's not much," jaebum admitted, "but it reminded me of that time we ate ramyeon in my car..."

he pulled out two packets of instant noodles, and then a bowl and chopsticks. he began to prepare it, bringing out a flask of hot water to pour over the noodles. jinyoung watched, growing hungrier as the smell wafted into the air. 

jaebum stirred the noodles onto the chopsticks and offered jinyoung a mouthful. jinyoung leant over and opened his mouth so jaebum could pop the bundle of noodles inside. 

"mhm, they taste really good," jinyoung said through a mouthful, nodding in appreciation. 

jaebum fed himself and then turned his head to look out at the horizon. the sun was beginning to rise, staining the sky pink and peach and orange. jinyoung shuffled closer to lean his head on jaebum's shoulder as they both watched the sunrise, sharing warmth and taking turns to eat. 

"it's beautiful," jaebum murmured. he glanced down at jinyoung, who was snuggling up next to him for warmth, "like you."

jinyoung rolled his eyes but didn't object. instead, he smiled, and his ears turned a dusky pink. 

"you cold?" jaebum took off his coat and wrapped half around jinyoung's shoulders, so it covered the both of them. 

"thanks," jinyoung mumbled, his cheek buried in jaebum's hoodie as he looked out at the sky, "i didn't realise we'd be coming outside."

they sat in comfortable silence for a while, watching a flaming sun paint the sky a million colours, before settling on a baby blue. then jaebum let out a breath he didn't realise he was holding, and leaned down to kiss the top of jinyoung's head. 

"why...?" jinyoung uttered, melting into jaebum's embrace. 

"i'm just... really lucky to have you," jaebum whispered, eyes shut and a happy smile gracing his features. 

jinyoung looked up at him and cupped jaebum's cheeks with both hands. he kissed him slowly, their lips moving together in the heat of the rising sun. then he pulled away, meeting jaebum's gaze. 

"i'm lucky to have met you," jinyoung admitted, "...the real you."

"i love you so much, jinyoung," jaebum told him, tears pricking his eyes. "thank you for everything."

"i love you too," jinyoung murmured softly. he shuffled into jaebum's lap, wrapping the other's arms around his waist. 

and they watched the sun rise, full of steaming ramyeon, and it was like the world had just...

...stopped. because everything that mattered was right there, in that moment. 

____________________

a/n:
was that cheesy? idk
but i published it
anyways

basically each epilogue
will be a one shot of the
ship that happens after
the main plot of the story

hope you enjoyed!

this one was just fluff
i guess but others may
help to tie up loose ends

love you guys! ♡♡♡

(listened to paint me and
pinwheel whilst writing this)