48 | broken beyond repair

4:50.

jaebum was the last to leave the changing rooms after football training that day, packing up his kit lazily and swinging his football boots over his shoulder.

his thoughts drifted to jinyoung as he left the school building, and a smile spread across his face. it was crazy how it was only just coming to the end of the fourth month since they'd properly met. christmas had brought them closer together, and if jaebum could change anything from those four months they'd spent together, he'd keep everything the same. he wouldn't change a single thing. 

caught up in the moment and his flutter of happy thoughts, jaebum started whilsting as he crossed the school grounds towards the exit. he let out a laugh and a contented sigh. perhaps he'd ring jinyoung's landline when he got home. maybe he'd even drop by. 

"park jinyoungie," jaebum murmured to himself, his voice full of his smile. 

he looked up to the january sky. it was blue, dotted with fluffy white clouds, and a flock of birds passed through it joyfully. for once in his life, jaebum was truly happy. 

he only looked down at the sound of glass crunching at his feet. 

a mobile phone was scattered on the gravel a few feet away, completely smashed. and in front of him stood his teammate, whose fists were clenched. 

"...seungcheol...?"

jaebum was caught out by the fist that swung towards his face. he dropped his football boots and ducked. seungcheol came at him again. jaebum raised his fists to defend himself, pushing seungcheols's stockier body away from him. 

"what the fuck, man?" jaebum spluttered. his hesitation finally landed him with a punch to the jaw and he stumbled back, yelling out in pain. 

breathing heavily, seungcheol looked down at the smashed phone. and for a moment, there seemed to be tears in his eyes. 

jaebum narrowed his eyes, now more than a little pissed off, and came at the other boy, shoving him to the floor and swinging a punch to his face. anger and the sudden adrenaline flooded his veins. seungcheol eventually overpowered him and pushed him off across the gravel. 

"i fucking hate you," he seethed, choking back some sort of sob. 

clenching his jaw, jaebum watched him sprint back across the football field. 

"what the fuck is his problem," he growled, slowly picking himself up and dusting the gravel off his jeans. 

the phone caught his eye and he scooped it up, as well as reclaiming his other possessions. it was definitely his phone. but the screen was smashed and the power button refused to work, so the screen remained black. massaging his jaw and shaking his head in confusion, jaebum left the school grounds and headed home, already anticipating the bruise that would form. 

he lay in bed for a long time when he got home. 

he called jinyoung's landline. nobody picked up the phone. 

that weekend, jaebum went into town, heading into a local store with his broken phone. it seemed almost broken beyond repair, and the store assistant raised an eyebrow at him when he placed it on the counter. 

"it might be cheaper to buy a new phone, dude," she said. 

"can you just try and fix it as soon as you can?" jaebum asked pleadingly. 

the girl sighed and rolled her eyes, but nodded and obliged. 

jaebum called jackson when he got home, since it was the only number he could recall to ring by. he listened to the dial tone of his landline for a while before jackson picked up. 

"hey, who is this?"

"it's jaebum. um, have you heard from jinyoung this weekend? i've called his house but no-one's been picking up and-"

the line went dead.

jaebum slowly took the phone away from his ear and frowned in confusion. nothing made any sense. 

they didn't have practise until the next friday, so jaebum didn't see the team all week. somehow, he managed not to catch anyone all day, and ended up in the library for lunch. 

by thursday, he was thoroughly confused, and rather lonely. 

jaebum went back to the phone repair store after school that day to see if they were done with his phone. the girl grudgingly smiled as she saw his pleased look when she returned it to him. all the outer parts were replaced so not even a scratch remained. the screen lit up when he turned it on and jaebum grinned. 

"thank you so much," he said, still grinning even as he handed over a large sum of money he'd had saved up. 

finally, he thought, he could text jinyoung and find out what's been going on. it was seriously weird for jinyoung and his friends to outright avoid him, but his own friends had disappeared from his presence all week. 

jaebum was relieved to find all the old data still in his phone as he clicked onto the message app. but as he clicked onto his chat with jinyoung, he found himself blinking in shock. 

"what the fuck...?" he mumbled. 

the messages on the chat were new to jaebum's eyes. he read through the conversation, a pang of alarm shooting through him. 

"but i didn't send these," he said to himself, running a hand through his hair in worry. 

but jinyoung didn't know that. 

jaebum sprung to his feet, not even bothering to send a message to explain before he sprinted out his front door and down the road. the sky was grey now. 

how could he have let this happen? he would never want to hurt jinyoung, of all people. not when he meant so much to him. 

the sky was overcast and rain started pattering down around him. it was fitting, really. jaebum left his car parked outside his house, empty of fuel, and ran all the way to jinyoung's instead. 

his mind cast back over the memories they'd spent together. the way jinyoung's hand fit perfectly in his. the way jinyoung had moaned his name that time over winter break. the way park jinyoung had seen past the icy exterior and the disreputable name he'd held for himself and found a way to his heart. 

everything about park jinyoung was special. 

everything about him... im jaebum had managed to break.

_____________________

a/n: i'm still alive hi
apologies if this one
was a bit of a mess,
i've been in rehearsals
for our school musical
every day for like the
last 2 weeks so i've
been super busy sorry :(

also i kinda had a
bit of a writer's block
for a bit but i think
i'm good now ahaha

there will still be 2
more chapters of this
before i finish the main
storyline, but i am also
planning on writing
bonus chapters to fill
you in on events and
ship epilogues!

current aesthetic:
pentagon's wooseok
picking up jinho and
jinho clinging to
wookseok i lOVE

thank you for all the support!
this book hit 50k wHAT
i love you so much ♡

still hmu with ships
that need more fics
and attention :)