~Epilogue~

~Jason~

After the deaths of Josh, Riley, Aaron, and Hera, the old SPARTAN-III had continued to fight the rogue Covenant and against Cortana's Guardians until his final day. It was simple, drop in pods to end suspected Covenant influence. As the pods dropped onto the surface, the doors busted open as a man in Semi-Powered Infiltration armor exited one, holding a Battle Rifle and a magnum secured onto his utility belt. He turned left, then right, glancing at his motion sensor to see if anyone, or thing, had tried to sneak up on them.

"Gamma squad to base, we've found the target building. Proceeding with insertion." Jason said in the comms.

"Understood Gamma, proceed with caution." The officer replied as SPARTAN-III raised his hand and ushered the ODSTs inward. Over the years after the Battle for Earth Beta, Mitsugi had sustained critical injuries on an OP that forced her into an honorable discharge from service. Echo had transferred to Fireteam Omega, she had deemed Lieutenant Yeager unfit to lead because of his trauma that he had tried to hold down. After a few years of therapy, Jason was then fit to lead again. The Spirit of Hope had finally ran it's course with a fight with a rogue Insurrectionist leader. Both ships didn't make it and Captain Charles Kent went down with his ship. Blue team had continued their assignments with the Infinity, Kelly at this point had never came into contact with Lieutenant Yeager again. The people of Earth Beta offered sanctuary for Lieutenant Yeager, saying he had done everything to ensure the safety of it's people, but he declined.

"Sir, contact. Coming from below." One ODST said. "Understood, get into positions." Jason ordered as the ODSTs scrambled to their positions and glanced down to see an Elite in white and gold armor speaking with another. With their technology advancing further, the new helmets came with translators so they could understand their enemies.

"Are you sure? The UNSC could destroy us for this move." The white and gold one spoke.

"I am sure, they left their second Earth undefended, now is our time to attack. They wouldn't see us coming." The other spoke.

"Fine, we'll contact Gul'Mada." The white and gold replied before hearing the sounds of guns cocking.

"I don't think so." Jason said as the two Elites snapped their mandibles. "Sound the alarm!" Before long, the alarm rang throughout the base as Elites scrambled to find their armor and prepare themselves. The ODSTs and Spartan made quick work of the two as they began to mow down other Elites entering the room. Thinking they had a victory, two Hunters and a few Grunts appeared as they began to fire on Gamma's position.

"Need immediate reinforcements, we're overwhelmed-" One ODSTs started before being shot down by a Hunter's fuel rod cannon.

"Fall back, Fall back!" Jason ordered as he fired his Battle Rifle, covering for the ODSTs before charging at the Hunters. He slid under one as he stood and managed to hop on it's back before grabbing a fragmentation grenade and shoving it into the masses of orange worms and vaulted off the Hunter's back as it exploded in ripped armor and worms. He turned before being slammed by the other's armor hand, enraged at the death of it's twin. Jason skidded a few feet away, hitting a broken piece of concrete. He began shaking off his daze as he glanced up to see an Elite holding a Plasma Rifle.

"This ends now Demon, you fought valiantly. Now you die." The Elite growled before Jason kicked the Elite's hand, grabbing the Plasma Rifle and fired into his chest, killing him. He turned to the other Hunter as it charged at him, forcing the Spartan to roll to the side and fire his Plasma Rifle at the exposed part of it's back. After a few successful hits, the goliath fell before the whine of a Plasma grenade could be heard. Jason glanced down as it rolled down and stopped near his feet. A look of fear on his face as he turned to run before it exploded, shattering his helmet and shredding his armor as he fell and slammed into a wall. Groaning, he opened his eyes before a screen appeared and Hera's face showed.

"This is UNSC AI Hera, serial number HEA-2145-09. I know what you're wondering Jason, how am I here when I died? Well, when you weren't busy with sleeping, I programmed apart of me to relay this message until you were deemed you could handle it. Suggesting it pops up, it means you've gotten over everything that has happened to us. I wanted to say that I am sorry about Josh, I am sorry about Riley, and Aaron, and for me. I know I was the last person you had before I was taken away from you and I am sorry. I wanted to relay this message to you when my days were over to say that, I love you Jason. I have been with you since the first mission to the last one on Earth Beta and I wish I could have conveyed my feelings for you before but I was too busy or just too afraid. I mean come on, an AI in love with a human? That's not possible. But I do love you, with all my robotic heart. I also want to say is that you can let us go, I'm sure a small part of your brain still holds the memories of us and I want you to let us go. Don't hurt yourself over what happened to us, be happy that those moments happened and we were with you. Please, if not for yourself, but for me. Thank you for a wonderful life and it has been an honor serving with you Lieutenant and Theta squad. This is Hera, signing off for the final time. I love you." Hera said. Jason started at the screen before a single tear fell down his face.

Gritting his teeth, he looked up to see a struggling Elite that must've been near the vicinity of the explosion as he tried to stand before glaring at the Spartan. Jason pulled himself out of the wall and looked to see an Elite's Energy Sword handle and grabbed it. He pulled his helmet off and tossed it to the side as he glared at the alien.

"It will honor my ancestors to have you die at my hands." The Elite growled. Jason said nothing but charged as he activated the sword and in one stroke, embedding the sword into the Elite's chest. The alien gasped and looked down in fear as he stared at the human.

"I'm ready, how 'bout you?" He asked before the Elite crumpled to the ground. Jason stared at the body before glancing down to see the alien's Energy Sword in his own gut. Feeling the blood rushing up his esophagus, he grabbed the sword and pulled it out as he coughed up blood and dropped it before falling to the ground as he moaned in pain. He heard boots scraping against the ground as a small Spartan Fireteam appeared. Jason watched a brown, armor-clad Spartan secure the area as a green titan and two blue Spartans, one with a light tone of blue, almost aquatic, knelt next to him.

"Jason? Jason!" One of the blue ones shouted as they removed their helmet to show the same red hair and starling blue eyes, Kelly.

"Fred, do we have anything?" Chief demanded. "It's in the pelican." Fred replied. "Well hurry up, he's fading fast!" Linda growled as the blue titan took off. Kelly grabbed Jason's hand and looked at him.

"You'll be alright. Just hold on Jason." Kelly said as he stared at her. "Even more beautiful from the first time I've met you." Jason said with a smirk.

"Save your strength." Chief ordered. "I don't need it, I-I, it's been an honor to have fought with you. Don't ever forget it." Jason said as his eyelids began to blink. He took in one shaky breath before exhaling one final time. Fred entered to see the three Spartans holding their heads down as he glanced down to see Jason's body still, his chest not moving. Fred climbed down and knelt along with the rest. They grabbed his body and brought him up as they laid him in the pelican as it took off back to the Infinity. When they landed, each Spartan grabbed his body as they brought him to the medical wing, one doctor looked at them nodded as two more brought over a casket. They laid Jason's body gently into the box as Kelly grabbed a small chain with three dogtags and an empty AI chip as she laid them on his chest. She leaned down and placed one final kiss on his lips before shutting the casket as they brought him to the escape chute and placed his body in. The Spartans and crew members stood as they paid their respects. Blue team removed their helmets, including Chief, as one doctor walked over and pressed a button, ejecting the casket into the coldness of space.

"May you find peace at last." Kelly spoke before growing silent as the smooth, black, casket floated before disappearing forever.

A/N: Okay, I may not show it in my eyes, but this was really heart breaking and sad for me to write. I know I usually end my stories on a good note, but I didn't feel the same with this story. I wanted him to be shown as a hero instead of my other stories ending. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this story and my others. It brings me happiness to know you enjoyed it.